× Members

pip.

More
7 years 3 months ago #177616 by judy52
pip. was created by judy52
my husband has just received as his PIP form to fill in.He has been receiving higher rate mobility DLA for 21 years, he was awarded it for life,he has a motability car. I have never claimed care allowance for him, but i should have done so a few years ago but didnt want to risk his DLA. I am filling in what I think for him is the most important question, Q14 moving about where he needs to get 12 points to keep his car.I have read on this forum that a man said he could walk for a minute and he was only given 10 points, I have the esa report from the ATOS assessor that I was going to copy and send in with his form, he says that my husband has (severe injuries ti his lumbar spine and has severe restriction of mobilisation, he can walk very limited distances of around 25 metres in 30 minutes, stopping 5-6 times to sit and rest. Severe disability is likely and there is no evidence to suggest improvement is likely in the longer term). Do you think that this report explains the distance that would give him 12 points for the under 20 metres, as I am unsure? Would it be to his benefit to include this report?This question is so misleading. He will be assessed to Capita not Atos for PIP. I hope you will be able to give me some advice. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #177635 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic pip.
Hi Judy and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Have a look at our PIP guide as this explains the criteria against which your husband will be assessed.

PIP help for claimants

There are two mobility descriptors - the first one relates to people with sensory, mental health and cognitive issues, the second relates to physical problems. It is undoubtedly easier to get Enhanced Mobility if the claimant can score against both of these descriptors.

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future? This will allow you to return with further questions or comments about your husband's PIP without having to start a new topic each time. We ask members to keep everything relating to the same claim in one topic as it helps us enormously - and I hope you will find it useful to :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 3 months ago #177650 by judy52
Replied by judy52 on topic pip.
Thanks for your reply, I have read all the notes on your pip guide, and even thought i have written quite a bit about my husband not being able to use public transport, it is more physical than mental ability for the first descriptor. I am confused as to the distance he can walk , as the Atos assessor put down that he can walk up to 25 metres in 30 minutes stopping 5-6 times, if you divide this, it works out as 1.2 metres in just over a minute. Is this distance and timescale within the 12 point category?

More
7 years 3 months ago #177654 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic pip.

judy wrote: Thanks for your reply, I have read all the notes on your pip guide, and even thought i have written quite a bit about my husband not being able to use public transport, it is more physical than mental ability for the first descriptor. I am confused as to the distance he can walk , as the Atos assessor put down that he can walk up to 25 metres in 30 minutes stopping 5-6 times, if you divide this, it works out as 1.2 metres in just over a minute. Is this distance and timescale within the 12 point category?

You will need to make use of "reliably".

The distance of 25m only qualifies your husband for the standard rate, so you need to show that he cannot walk the distance within a "reasonable time period" and that due to the number of stops that he requires that he is not walking to "an acceptable standard". See the guide for a more detailed explanation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: plankgirl, judy52

More
7 years 3 months ago #177662 by judy52
Replied by judy52 on topic pip.
if he can walk 25 metres in 30 mins including 5-6 stops, that is 1.2 metres per minute. would that information be regarded as a reasonable time period?

More
7 years 3 months ago #177667 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic pip.

judy wrote: if he can walk 25 metres in 30 mins including 5-6 stops, that is 1.2 metres per minute. would that information be regarded as a reasonable time period?

The 1.2m per minute would come under "acceptable standard" and the 30 minutes would be "reasonable time period".

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.