× Members

My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)

More
6 years 6 months ago #199055 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)
Hayley

All you can do is make the arguments and see what the DWP decide.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hayley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #199311 by Hayley
Replied by Hayley on topic My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)
Hi again! I'm going to send my form off on Tuesday via Special Delivery. I have a few more questions if that's ok:

Q12: Making decisions about money
I noticed the descriptors on this one are a bit different in that it goes from being able to do the activity unaided to needing help from other people, completely skipping over any aids.

My particular situation is that I can't work out what change I should get because I always lose count, so I pay with a debit card instead. I also can't estimate the contents of a basket of shopping, remember to pay bills (I use direct debit so they're all automatic for this reason). I use online banking so I don't have to go out more than I have to, because of my skin.

I have to use a calculator to do anything required in this activity, including working out the cost of things. I have 90% or so of the symptoms of dyscalculia but getting a diagnosis outside of the education system is almost impossible, so I hope they'll take my word for it if I explain well enough. I don't pay for things with cash, I use a debit card to avoid having to count money or change because I always lose count several times, hold up the queue and that's a massive trigger for my anxiety as I feel judged by everyone behind me. My mum helps me make sense of budgeting, as I get confused, agitated and stressed when working with numbers.

My question is, how is a calculator taken into an account since using an aid isn't a descriptor here. Is it like the satnav in that I don't mention it unless asked and if so, have to show I need one, rather than use one for convenience? It's really confusing when the reading question outright excludes glasses and contact lenses, but no other question does that.

Thanks again for all your help.

More
6 years 6 months ago #199338 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)
Hayley

You are arguing the wrong point :)

If you need a calculator work out what your shopping will cost, or avoid dealing with change by using a Debit card, then it is the problem that requires you do this that you should be explaining!

As the Descriptors make no reference to the use of aids for this activity, you will not score for the calculator or the Debit card.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 6 months ago #199645 by Hayley
Thanks Gordon. My GP won't refer me for an assessment for dyscalculia and believes I have "enough problems" that I should get PIP easily, clearly unaware of the system. :P

Anyway, I've written everything now, but have a question about Q13 again. I mentioned earlier about how I drive and have a clean record since passing my test (first time) in 2011.

DVLA as you probably know, has a list of conditions that you need to tell them about, ADHD being one of them, but only if it affects the patient's driving. I asked my psychiatrist and he advised I had no need to inform them, so I didn't. DVLA's website states I don't have to tell them if it causes no problems.

ADHD is considered a form of cognitive impairment (in that it can affect things like memory, concentration etc) and DWP seem to like quoting "cognitive impairment" but I'm frightened I'm going to get my license taken away because of it. When I googled cognitive impairment I was getting links to Alzheimer's coming up, so I'm now afraid to refer to it as such on the PIP form.

Do DWP have an ability to inform DVLA if they think I can't drive based on what I've written on my form?

I've explained how I can drive safely on the form, but it also mentions that I can get overwhelmed about where I am and lost if I am say, forced down an unfamiliar road on a familiar route. I don't want them to think that reflects on my driving, because it doesn't in any way.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you for all your help!

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #199650 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)
Hi Hayley,

I think you have 2 issues here -

Firstly, will the assessor/DWP inform DVLA that you should not be driving? Whilst they might believe that you should inform DVLA (or stop driving), I would expect them to try and persuade you to contact DVLA yourself. They would have to warn you first if they intended to contact DVLA themselves - and we have never heard of anyone being warned that this was being considered.

Secondly, might the fact that you drive be used as 'proof' that you are capable of concentrating and of various physical movements. You will need to think of how you can explain that you are both capable of driving safely whilst also suffering from the limitations you are reporting.

Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

More
6 years 6 months ago #199654 by Hayley
Thank you Mrs Hurtyback!

I would think my clean driving record speaks for itself, since my ADHD has been with me for life and isn't something that deteriorates or goes away. Beyond saying I'm a safe driver, I don't know how I can show it to be honest.

I have heard driving can be used against you a lot in PIP assessments, even in activities that have nothing to do with it! I'm prepared for them to use my driving against me, but again, I can't explain how I can remember about shifting gears, noticing traffic lights, applying the clutch/gas/breaks properly, etc. I just can. It's like it's hard wired and I can do it on auto pilot. I'm honestly wondering if it's linked to the fact I've always been good at playing video games since I was little! :P

I realise nobody can explain for me, I'm just not able to, beyond stating I'm a safe driver really. I'll have to do some more research into what parts of the brain control these things and what ADHD affects exactly. Thanks. :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.