× Members

My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)

More
6 years 7 months ago #196693 by Hayley
Replied by Hayley on topic My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)
Ok, I'll not mention it unless they ask. If that happens I'll explain how my own limitations make caring take 35 hours+ a week.

I'm making steady progress on my PIP form text, ready for when they arrive. A reminder that my main conditions are dermatitis, ADHD and social anxiety.

Q13: Going out

A bit of background info. I drive. I don't go out alone. I don't use public transport alone and still prefer not to use it if I can, unless the anxiety from driving somewhere built up (city centres) outweighs the anxiety of being on a bus with my mum.

I can drive to a variety of locations that take less than five minutes to get to from my home without my satnav but for anywhere longer, I need a satnav. I will add that I have lived in the same house since I was born 31 years ago, so am extremely familiar with the area. I may be moving to a nearby town in the new year and will need the satnav for any journey from then on.

The satnav is just Google maps on my smartphone, nothing disability-specific as I don't use a blue badge or need accessible-friendly facilities, which seems to be the only thing I can find that disability-friendly satnavs focus on. I can't think about routes as well as focus fully on the road, so I need a satnav. I wouldn't be able to continue driving if there was a diversion without my satnav's ability to re-plan a route, because I'd be terrified of missing one of the diversion signs and getting lost. I can't remember verbal directions at all, I rely on visual directions to tell where I'm going.

The reason I can't go out alone is social anxiety. I feel extremely vulnerable of being judged. When I've had to go outside alone, I have coping mechanisms that frankly scare me a bit, like how I talk to myself audibly to tell myself that "nothing is out to get me". I shake, I use fidget toys, I hyperventilate. I can't go out alone safely, I need another person with me that I know extremely well to be able to go out. Even then, it's mentally exhausting.

I also have problems going out because of my skin. Apart from the obvious fact that raw areas, scabs, red skin and flakes on my face draws attention I can't cope with, I also struggle with temperature. My body can't regulate it at all during flares (currently affect me approx 75% of the year but it varies from year to year). I will sweat and it creates an incredible burning feeling that I can only describe as feeling like someone has rubbed me all over with nettles. This happened the other day when I was out with my mum. I overheated in a shop, sweated due to overheating (my mum said it didn't feel warm in there so I know it was my body), skin went bright red, I was raking a comb over my face to scratch the itch, I was crying and couldn't think.

People were looking at me, which made everything much worse. I noticed my phone wasn't in my hand and fell to my knees hyperventilating and sobbing, telling my mum in broken words that I was burning, I needed help, needed the phone to live (it's my med reminder, satnav, appointment reminder, so it really is a lifeline). Turns out, I'd put it in her bag for some reason. I have no idea how to explain this any better, but it happens when I go out a lot. I wouldn't be able to follow or plan a route or anything else when this happens! No idea how an assessor would interpret it though. :(

Short version:
1. I drive, worried it will be used against my claim in my ability to do the other things, even though "driving" isn't a PIP activity.

2. Would the physical symptoms of my skin blocking my ability to plan a route be taken into account? It would be due to the intense itching and burning that distracts me to the point I can't think. It can come about as a result of psychological distress or temperature fluctulations (going between different buildings to the outside, like when shopping).

3. I can go out, but only accompanied, so I don't expect to get points for being unable to go out. It wouldn't be accurate anyway. Granted, I only go out for appointments and to take my mum shopping, no more than once or twice a week.

(I'm sorry I wrote so much, I have a tendency to do that)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #196707 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic My PIP claim (ADHD, eczema, social anxiety)
Hayley

The Going Out activity looks at your ability to navigate a route, using a satellite navigation system does not count as your doing this, so if you have problems with doing this then you should explain why this is the case.

But there is a Catch 22, you can only be assessed for your problems with following a route if your go out, Descriptors (e) and (f) are mutually exclusive of each other. So you need to decide which route you are best going down.

To meet (e) you need to show that you cannot undertake any journey, however, your going out in your car alone will argue against this. A counter argument would be that you feel safe in the car and therefore do not need someone with you but if you go out then you must be going somewhere so you will need to also explain how you manage at your destination.

To meet (f) you will need to show that you are unable to navigate a route, this must not be due to psychological distress. The DWP expect the primary reasons someone would have problems with this task would be due to cognitive impairment or sensory problems, can you show that you have problems in this area?

Your skin conditions can be considered and it may be possible to argue that they cause you anxiety and that this is of sufficient intensity that it impairs your cognitive ability, but this is a tough argument to make, do you think that you can show this?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hayley

More
6 years 7 months ago #196717 by Hayley
Hi Gordon, thanks for replying. :)

I don't go out alone, whether in the car or not. The reasons would come under "psychological distress". The car is far better for me however, for several reasons. I can control the temperature for example, which helps my skin not flare up, causing an inability to focus and intense pain/discomfort.

Either way, it depends on what they mean by "planning and following a journey". Does it explicitly refer to the use of a map or atlas, remembering and retaining that info while out and about? Because I can't do that at all. I can explain that on the form. I have ADHD and Executive Functioning Disorder (though the latter is undiagnosed at the moment, but it's symptoms are shared with ADHD) that makes retaining info extremely difficult/impossible. I can't ask for directions and even if I could, I'd forget it right after they told me, even if it was for say, three turns. If I wrote the directions down while driving alone, I would have to stop after literally every turn to check the next direction and there's a very high chance I'll still forget it.

Does it mean that if I need a satnav and can explain that I need the info right then and there because I can't remember it otherwise, I count as not being able to do the activity at all? The person with me could theoretically hold a print out with instructions and read them out to me, but we've never tried that as I've always had a satnav. If they did that, it would mean I needed the assistance of another person to help me follow the journey, correct? If so, that just means I need to decide whether familiar (f) or unfamiliar (d) apply.

If I go for descriptor E, I'll feel I'm lying. I go out once a week to get shopping because I have to. I go with my mum because she likes to pick her own stuff but has arthritis so she needs me to drive.

As for familiarity of a place, I don't know how familiar it has to be. I know how to get to the shops without a satnav but as I said, I've been living in the same place for 31 years and the shops are 200m away, so I know where they are. If/when I move, nothing will be familiar to me.

Thanks again. It's very confusing. I've answered almost everything else quite easily, thanks to the guides. I'm just really struggling with this one (I also did for my partner).

More
6 years 7 months ago #196739 by Gordon
Hayley

If I was you I would stay away from mentioning the Sat Nav, it can only lead to confusion over your capabilities, this is what you can do or not on your own or where you need help from someone else.

If you are aiming for (f) then you must show that you cannot navigate a route and that this is due to some form of cognitive impairment.

Navigating is about understanding where you are and where you need to go to next and if there are multiple options being able to select the correct one. You need to be able to deal with diversions or having your route blocked, this could be a physical obstruction but it may also be a restriction due to your conditions, for example a crowded street.

You must be able to follow the route reliably and on the majority of days, see the PIP Claim for definitions of these. So for example you must follow the route safely this would include choosing appropriate places to cross a road, you must be able to traverse the route within a reasonable time, so if it takes you ages to make a decision on which way to go at each junction then this may mean that you cannot do this. It needs to be to a reasonable standard so if the route is two miles and you end up traveling 5 miles then this may mean that you should score the points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hayley

More
6 years 7 months ago #196769 by Hayley
Thank you for clarifying that Gordon, I understand much better now. I'll remove any mention of a satnav and basically act like they don't exist (ridiculous DWP logic but whatever).

I currently have a section about severe social anxiety around going out alone as part of my answer (before I get to the "cognitive impairment means I can't follow a familiar journey" part) and I'm worried they'll only pay attention to that and either give me descriptor e, or refuse to acknowledge if I have a cognitive impairment because psychological distress also plays a part (though it's unrelated to the cognitive part).

Can I ask your thoughts on this? Would you mention anxiety at all or not for that question when going for descriptor f? Thanks. :)

More
6 years 7 months ago #196799 by Gordon
Hayley

First have a look at Descriptor (b), it may be worth your including the content in regard to this.

Looking at (E), you said in a previous post

"If I go for descriptor E, I'll feel I'm lying"

I think you have already answered your question. :)

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.