× Members

Cruel and discriminatory sanctions threat

More
6 years 7 months ago #196689 by Porridge
I hope you don't mind me asking this for a relative. She has recently been awarded PIP at the highest level for both elements, after being asssessed at home. She has a severe physical illness. She can't walk among other limitations and needs lots of help. She is in receipt of WRAG ESA, she was a professional carer before becoming ill.

She filled out an ESA50 a couple of months ago for a two year review. She has heard nothing back yet. The Jobcentre Plus has frequently threatened her with sanctions because she has been too ill to attend work experience. The worker at the Jobcentre Plus this week has made it clear that if she doesn't work for a few hours in a local charity shop (without pay), she will definitely receive a sanction. There is no ramp into the charity shop, even, for her wheelchair. If you met her, you would realise how cruel all this is. Do you think she could raise a complaint against the Jobcentre for disability discrimination? I feel so sorry for her. Thanks for any advice.

“There isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” – Dalai Lama

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #196702 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Cruel and discriminatory sanctions threat
Porridge

She is in the WRAG and this is not an unreasonable request in regard to Work Related Activity providing it takes account of the limitations that result from her conditions.

I would not rush to make a complaint. I would start by speaking to the Disability advisor at the JC+ and then if necessary a supervisor.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.