× Members

Brown Envelope

More
5 years 8 months ago #216127 by Jay_P
Replied by Jay_P on topic Brown Envelope
Thanks Gordon was thinking that myself

I,ll just have wait and see if a call is forthcoming.She also said if I had not heard from them in 3 weeks to give them a call and gave me a different 0800 number to that on the letter they sent

Bit early for this question but thought best to be prepared

I have mountainous evidence eg consultants reports,,surgery reports etc dating back to 1990.

Is there any merit in sending/submitting all of this or keep to more recent evidence eg two operations in last 3 years?

Also,who carries out the assessments in Scotland Capita or Atos?Suppose it makes not a whole lot of difference

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #216128 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Brown Envelope
Jay

It is possible to send too much evidence and dilute the message you are trying to present.

As a general rule the older the evidence the less weight it will carry, the only exception to this are diagnosis letters.

First of all get rid of everything that is not a diagnosis or about how your conditions affect you, then get rid of duplications keeping the newer copy, lastly go through and decide whether the older letters are still relevant to your conditions as they are now and whether there is information to support this.

If you till have a fair pile of papers then I would create an index of what is actually attached with a short summary so it is easy to find each document.

Scotland is covered by IAS (formerly known as ATOS) but I believe they have sub-contracted the assessment in most areas of the country so it who's name will actually appear on the letter is anybody's guess.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 8 months ago #216134 by Jay_P
Yeah I know what you mean.Although a different benefit/ assessment got the impression at my ESA assessment that they had not read any of the evidence I had provided

Thanks again Gordon,appreciate your time and reply.

No doubt as time goes by I,ll have further questions

More
5 years 8 months ago #216844 by Jay_P
Received my claim pack last week and in the process of filling it in but looking for some help/ advice on a number of issues so apologies for so many questions

I am only claiming for the mobility element but use aids for showering/ bathing like a bath /shower seat and grab rail.I also have a raised toilet seat for getting on and off the toilet.Is there any point/ merit in answering Q6 and Q7?

On the moving around question.Is it imoerative to tick one of the boxes regards distance or just use the extra informstion section to explain?

Also,is imperative to provide the time it takes to carry out a task/ mobolise a distance?It would be pure guesswork unless I timed myself

Will they know I am in receipt of ESA and DLA presently and if not is it woth making that point?

Finally,II notice there no option to give dates unavailable if called for an assessment.I will be off for a short break two weeks after my form is due back and concerned that I may miss info regarding assessment.I did not give my mobile number during telephone claim( think I chose contact via letter).Should I call them to inform them of the dates I wont be available for an assessment?

I do notice on the info leaflet that are taking 16 weeks or less

Sorry for the lengthy post

More
5 years 8 months ago #216846 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Brown Envelope
Jay

I would still include the issue that require you to use aids for Q6 and Q7, they both suggest problems with your legs which may reinforce your scoring for Mobility. Also, the legal requirement for Moving Around is for the claimant to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems with getting up then these could also be important.

You do not have to use the tick boxes but you must still answer the question in the comment box or attached pages if you opt to do this then mark the tickboxes "see below".

Does the form actually ask for the time that you take to mobilise a distance, if it does then you must provide an answer but this must be based on empirical information and not a guess so you must time yourself and this should not be a one-off, take timings several times a day and over as many days as you can manage.

If the form does not specifically ask for the timings then I would not include them but I would still do the timed walks so that if you are asked at an assessment you have an answer ready.

You should not assume that those assessing you will know that you are receiving ESA, they should know that you currently have a DLA award but I would not expect this to influence how they score you, even for Mobility, there are differences in the criteria.

Yes, include the information on when you are away, even if it is ignored it means that they will have to take responsibility for moving an appointment and not you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 8 months ago #216855 by Jay_P
Again Gordon,thanks your help is appreciated

Regards timed walks

In the extra information - moving around section theres a list of criteria one being tell us how long it takes to complete this activity,its not specfic to walking

Should I include the information when I will be away/ unavailable for assessment on the additional information section at the end of form or call them?

Thanks again

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.