× Members

New Style ESA and UC - Severe Disability Premium

More
6 years 1 month ago #215898 by beabea101
Hi,
I have been on ESA in the support group since 2014, and I also got PIP and the Severe Disability Premium. I moved to a new borough a few weeks ago though, and had to claim UC. Today I've been told that I will still get contribution based ESA and this will be deducted from the UC amount.
Do you know whether UC will also pay the Severed Disability Premium amount please? I was told today there is some guarantee where I shouldn't lose the premium, but then I was told this isn't the case. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #215905 by Gordon
Bea

I'm afraid your timing is not very good :(

The Minister announced that that claimants in receipt of SDP would not be asked to claim UC until the legislation was amended to allow payment of the Premium in UC, those who have already transferred would be compensated for the loss of the Premium.

Unfortunately, the problem with Ministerial announcements is that they take some time to be implemented and you are still in the period where we are waiting for the changes to be put in place.

So at the moment, you will not receive the Premium but at some time, it may be months, you will receive the equivalent of the Premium and back payment of any missed payments.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: beabea101

More
6 years 1 month ago #215915 by beabea101
Replied by beabea101 on topic New Style ESA and UC - Severe Disability Premium
Hi Gordon,

Thank you. I am a bit concerned, because I was on income related ESA, which meant I had the SDP but now, for some reason, they have stuck me on contribution based ESA and they are treating it as a new claim. I know that on contribution based, you are not entitled to SDP. I am wondering whether this is a way of not having to pay SDP and backpay, once the new legislation is in place? I really don't see how my contributions ran out in 2014, and now I suddenly have enough contributions again. I haven't worked at all during those 4 years.... Hope I am making sense. It all seems a bit fishy to me! Might be something for Benefits and Work to look out for. Thanks

More
6 years 1 month ago #215943 by Gordon
Bea

You can only receive ESA(CB) is you meet the Contribution Conditions now or have met them on a continuous claim, so I think you were previously receiving ESA(CB) with an ESA(IR) top-up.

ESA was a single benefit encompassing ESA(CB) and ESA(IR) the situation with UC is different with UC and New Style ESA (ESA(CB)) being separate benefits, so your situation is what I would expect for your circumstances.

I'm afraid you will have to wait for the DWP to sort itself out re the SDP, it could be weeks but is more likely to be months.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: beabea101

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.