× Members

Mental State Exam and 'shows insight.'

More
4 years 10 months ago #234860 by Ted Pea
Had WCA and PIP`assessments recently and they both (apparently) carried out an MSE or Mental State Examination.

Both wrote that I showed good insight into my condition, which is absolutely true.

However, in the hands of the DWP I wonder if it's a loaded statement, and means 'he knows what's going on, so he should cure himself soon, and get a job?'

Anyone with any experience of mental health would know that good insight is no indication that you're in a position to make yourself well, but the DWP and its inquisitors are fond of making bogus conclusions.

So, does anyone know if there's any trick interpretations from the MSE, that I should be wary of, in particular 'shows insight?'

Cheers, Ted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #234863 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Mental State Exam and 'shows insight.'
Hi Ted Pea

I think it's easy to see almost every remark as being possibly loaded and you may be right, but unless someone says exactly what a specific statement means then you are constantly left wondering whether it is a loaded remark or an innocuous one.

I know of several people who had MSEs where that phrase was used in the report, but it didn't have an impact on them receiving their expected award. However, I am sure you will find examples of people who didn't get their expected award and say that it was that particular statement that counted against them.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #234866 by Ted Pea
Replied by Ted Pea on topic Mental State Exam and 'shows insight.'
Thanks BIS.

The results from both assessment MSEs are a standard looking list (maybe drop-down menu answers)

I've finally examined my WCA report from 9 months ago, and have realised that it probably isn't 'fit for purpose,' a quality it should have been checked for.

I don't understand why the assessor awarded her points, so it isn't 'fully justified,' plus it's written appallingly.

I was wondering last night, how she could have made a prognosis that I could be expected to return to work within three months, so I wondered if it's because of her magical MSE, and my 'insight.'

I've also noticed she scheduled me for another reassessment in three months, which will probably be before my tribunal for the last one.

Those MSEs are little more than a nurse's intuition, and should carry no weight whatsoever.

Looks like the rest of my life will be spent being assessed, reconsidered, and awaiting a tribunal.

Sorry to vent, Ted :)

More
4 years 10 months ago #234871 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Mental State Exam and 'shows insight.'
Hi Ted

You vent away. Unfortunately, your experience is common and it's not good enough.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ted Pea

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.