× Members

Paid volunteering an IR ESA

More
5 years 1 month ago #237650 by ka
Paid volunteering an IR ESA was created by ka
Greetings,

I’m on IR ESA in the Support Group. I’d like some advice on payments I am starting to receive from volunteering.

I’ve recently volunteered to get involved with my local NHS foundation trust. At the induction day we were told that we would receive various payments depending on the opportunity. In addition to travel reimbursement, we would be paid £20 for short events and £40 for longer ones. We could also receive additional payments if we did higher level involvement, such as sitting on interview panels, co-facilitating a workshop etc.

We were informed that to make these payments we would be set up on the payroll and it would be paid into our bank account. It would also be taxed at source which would later need to be reclaimed if you are not paying income tax. The said we need to speak to our benefits office about the payments, as the payroll side of it would flag up to DWP that we are receiving an income.

I’m aware there are permitted work rules and I would hit the weekly earnings limits based on this given the opportunities are sporadic. Does this even class as permitted work? It’s not work as such although I do receive an income from it it is not National Living Wage.

I need some advice on how and when to contact DWP about this so that is doesn’t affect my claim. To be honest the way the trust is doing this is creating a headache and seems overkill, but it does mean to continue being involved with the trust (which is positive for my personal development) that I have to go along with this.

If you could give me some guidance or point to where I could get help with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

ka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #237667 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Paid volunteering an IR ESA
ka

If you are being paid then you are no longer volunteering but are in remunerative work and you must notify the DWP.

There's a guide to Permitted Work in the ESA section with current rates.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.