× Members

What happens on ESA when savings £16,000 plus

More
4 years 8 months ago #238618 by James9000
Replied by James9000 on topic What happens on ESA when savings £16,000 plus
Hi Gordon, yes I was transferred from incapacity benefit to ESA and the letter says the back payment will be disregarded for one year.

I found the letter sent after my tribunal hearing and it said, "Accordingly he is entitled to Incapacity benefit credits from… Because he satisfies the assessment.". Nothing changed until being invited to apply for ESA.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #238624 by Gordon
James

Was the payment more than £5000?

The following is a briefing document from the Houses of Parliament

data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files...nts_FAQ_17.10.18.pdf

Scroll down to Will payments of arrears be disregarded for the life of the award?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: James9000

More
4 years 8 months ago #238679 by James9000
Replied by James9000 on topic What happens on ESA when savings £16,000 plus
Hi Gordon thank you that is great to know. It's funny my back payment came in several payments of £3985, over consecutive days. I wonder if doing it like that triggered the automatic under £5000 payment explanation in the letter.

Am I right in thinking the Parliamentary briefing document, is a summary of the law, in the form of a briefing?

Thank you for your help.

More
4 years 8 months ago #238681 by Gordon
James

Yes, the briefing document is a summary of the relevant law. Whilst this situation is new the law governing it is not, basically the failure to assess Incapacity and SDA claimants for entitlement to Income Related ESA was classed as an error and therefore the normal rules for disregarding back payments do not apply.

If the total was more than £5000 but paid in smaller amounts then I would write to the DWP asking them to confirm that the total will be disregarded for the life of your ESA claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.