× Members

Relevance of a Diagnosis

More
2 years 2 days ago #269647 by UC:
Relevance of a Diagnosis was created by UC:
My brother in law submitted a request for a view of his PIP award back in July 2021, due to a significant deterioration of his condition and symptoms.

He was on the Standard Rate for Daily Living, with no award for Mobility component.

The result of his review has just come through, with the Assessor maintaining similar award categories, ie no change.

Receipt of the PA4 form today revealed a similar story of 'he can drive, so has good grip' but an over zealous use of the phrase 'there has been no diagnosis'......

My brother in law is submitting a request for a Mandatory Reconsideration and I was wondering how relevant the notion of a formal diagnosis is?

My view is that symptoms can certainly present themselves in the absence of a formal medical diagnosis. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 day ago #269649 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Relevance of a Diagnosis
Hi UC: Universal Compassion!
You are right PIP is bases on loss of function rather than what actually causes it. The trouble is that DWP like labels, it makes them sit up and listen! There is nothing wrong with saying 'I have backache and can't do XYZ PIP activities.' However, it doesn't sound very convincing. DWP like to read eg 'I have spondylolisthesis, and can't do...' I think part of the problem is that there is a guidance manual listing various diseases etc and next to it, it says 'likely to have problems with...'. I suspect that the generic backache entry won't have any obvious problems attached to it. It is therefore easier for the assessor just to say 'no diagnosis' go along the route of generic backache unlikely to give rise to PIP points, and leave it like that. I may of course be that insufficient training has been given to 'think out of the box' to investigate what the generic backache actually entails!
PIP is awarded 'if your ability to carry out daily living/mobility activities is limited/severely limited by your physical or mental health condition.' There is nothing that precludes generic backache, and that is clearly a health condition. (The quote is from the Welfare Reform Act 2012 s 78.)
You brother in law wishes to appeal - the first steps is to ask for mandatory reconsideration. Firstly go through the assessment report and try and group the criticisms into maybe 4 or 5 bullet points.
You have already made a good start. - one bullet point could be false assumptions - ie 'I drive I can do everything', secondly you could say about the lack of diagnosis. There might be other glaring errors, the assessor might have been rude, hasty etc etc.
He will need to open your letter, saying you are asking for DWP to reconsider whether enhanced rate daily Living and/or Mobility award should be made. (As appropriate.)
Start the letter with a paragraph or two about your illness, when it started, became worse, the overall effects etc. Include any informal diagnosis and whether you have any tests pending. Explain why no formal diagnosis has been made if you know.
Then write down you bullet point critique. Give examples from the report of the worse criticisms to illustrate each bullet point.
He may then wish to include a separate paragraph about driving. This is something that often comes up, and at the very top of the members forum is a post I wrote, that Gary kindly shared dealing with driving assumptions. Feel free to include all or part of this in your letter.
The third part of the letter - go through each descriptor - using the members guides can really help here - state what points should have been awarded and why. Remember that when 2 or more activities in a section apply equally the highest score should be awarded. Think about safety, reasonable time, repetition and acceptable standard - all of which must apply across the day as reasonably required. A better day won't preclude points if the majority pattern of days confirms points.
Good luck with brother in law's MR.
let us know how you both get on.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: cathy25

More
2 years 1 day ago #269652 by UC:
Replied by UC: on topic Relevance of a Diagnosis
Many thanks LL26!
A most informative response, that will serve to enhance my brother in law's letter to DWP for a Mandatory Reconsideration!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LL26

More
1 year 11 months ago #269696 by UC:
Having read my Brother in Laws PA4 form, the HP is blatantly trying to exploit the fact that he can drive (it is repeated 5 times) and also that a lack of diagnosis is enough to challenge his symptoms.

Is it available to cite the Upper Tribunal findings contained in the PIP Guide in my Brother in Laws letter requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration?

More
1 year 11 months ago #269698 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Relevance of a Diagnosis
Hi UC: Universal Compassion!

If the Upper Tribunal case helps your brother in law then I would use it, if you look at the first post on the forum 'PIP and Driving' LL26 wrote a good post concerning PIP and driving which I though was well defined; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/10-dla-e...8543-pip-and-driving.

Now you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and you will now be able to argue against them.

I usually use a highlighter to highlight any inaccuracies, once you have gone through the report you then set out why you are applying for a MR and go through each descriptor one at a time why you disagree with the assessor and try and match it with any supporting documents you may have sent in.

Understand that the assessor is offering an opinion when they say 'in my opinion' you can do the PIP activities, tackling these head-on is unlikely to be successful, you need to show that the basis of that opinion is founded on incorrect information, so try and refer to your evidence to undermine what they have said., remember they are just an opinion which is not based on fact.

Also, try and stick to issues that lead to your scoring points, I often hear members referring to the assessors spelling, as an example, whilst it may show a lack of professionalism, raising it as an issue isn't going to help you get an award.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

Lastly, make sure that you understand the criteria that you are being assessed against you can put the best case forward that is possible but you won't score points if you do not meet the PIP Descriptors.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide, halfway down the page; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

For the CRMR1 form to initiate your MR; www.gov.uk/government/publications/chall...ork-and-pensions-dwp

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 year 11 months ago #269712 by UC:
Thank you Gary!
The Upper Tribunal decisions do indeed appear to assist my Brother in Law, so I will act upon your advice and include them!

I have followed your other, extremely useful advice and have used the information provided in the 'PIP and Driving' post, which is excellent!

Thanks to the responses to my post, I feel that my Brother in Law has a good chance of a successful Mandatory Reconsideration!

Thank God for this site!
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, LL26

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.