× Members

ESAcb, duty to report change of circumstances due to inheritance?

More
1 year 11 months ago #270450 by Gary
Hi NorthernHeights

You have not been overpaid the contribution part of your ESA but you will have been overpaid the Disability Income guarantee part which is means tested.

Before you contact DWP ESA enquiry line; 0800 169 0310, make sure you have all the relevant information to hand such as the date the inheritance was transferred into your bank a/c, the amount you received and details of any savings you may have including your current account.

You will be asked to send proof to DWP, they will need to see your bank and saving statements usually going back 3 months but they may ask for longer.

If you receive Housing Benefit and Council tax benefit then you will also need to contact your local authority, they will also want the same information as DWP.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: NorthernHeights

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270578 by Angel
Means tested benefits are affected by income. Your CB ESA will be fine, but your IR ESA (which will be your premiums) are affected, as is your housing benefit and council tax.
To claim these you are ‘allowed’ up to 6K in savings. 6-16K and your amount is tiered accordingly. Over 16K and you are ineligible for means tested benefits.

Pleading ignorance is fine, but you will have to payback any monies you received by ‘accident’.

More
1 year 10 months ago #270583 by NorthernHeights
Hi, I messed up with part of your advice. I did ring the ESA advice line, but I forgot to write down the name of the advisor.
I did so first thing in the morning, not firing on all cylinders, because it just seemed so urgent. I do still have the call logged on my phone, though.
Verbally, I was told - to my surprise - that I will simply be put onto ESAcb and lose the Disability Income Guarantee element. However, who's to say that when I do get the letter I was informed of from them, a totally different decision will have been made?

More
1 year 10 months ago #270584 by NorthernHeights
Hi Gary,
I did have bank statements available, but all I said was I inherited over £16,000, and I don't remember giving a date when, or if the advisor asked.
Best case scenario, I'll willingly pay back any DIG outstanding with no further action from DWP.
As for HB and CT relief, I went to the council with my support worker because they hadn't replied to my change of circumstances inquiry, and discovered that I'm on a 'passported claim' due to my DWP circumstances.
This surprised me and prompted me to create this post to get best advice.

I've replied elsewhere about my phoning the DWP number you gave, above, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
I do think I should approach an ADHD charity who have helped me with DWP issues in the past, about writing a back up letter that I was advised to submit after ringing the DWP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
1 year 9 months ago #271872 by NorthernHeights
Hi everyone who's contributed. I did get it all sorted in the end re: ESA. I now no longer receive any Disability Income Guarantee or any other means tested elements on my claim, but that's not so bad.
However, I'm now going to start another topic about when ESA automatically inform a local authority of a change of circumstances.

Thank you for all the help so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angel

More
1 year 9 months ago #271881 by Gary
Hi NorthernHeights

Congratulations on getting it sorted

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.