× Members

Definitions of 'Reliably' and 'Majority of the time' for ESA

More
10 months 4 days ago #285692 by Gordon
AA

Gary has answered in regard to PIP but I believe your question is actually about ESA.

There is Case Law that postdates the RightsNet article you refer to`, see

wcainfo.net/activities/initiating-and-completing-personal-
action-lcw

I think the two examples you include in your post will struggle to show that you meet the criteria for this Activity, the actions are too separate from each other, mainly in time but also in context.

I agree with RightsNet that those assessing this task treat it too simply, you can certainly argue a more complicated scenario as suggested in the guide but if you don't address a simpler example as well then you are unlikely to score.

ESA does not have the "reliability" criteria defined in the legislation as PIP does but it is included via Case Law, unfortunately, this does make it more difficult to argue and to my mind, it is not as clearly set out.

You should be able to make the argument you suggest of showering and/or brushing your teeth. The only thing I would change is your use of the word "apathy", I think it will be viewed negatively by those reviewing you, perhaps switch it to "needing prompting" or some other similar phrase.

We can't say for certain why you scored for this activity last time. you may still be able to get a copy of the assessment report by contacting the DWP, it's an ESA85 if you had an interview and an ESA85A if it was done on the papers.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 2 days ago #285761 by Anxious Anonymous
Replied by Anxious Anonymous on topic Definitions of 'Reliably' and 'Majority of the time' for ESA
Hi Gordon,

Just to make sure I haven't read this wrong or you have made a typo.

I think the two examples you include in your post will struggle to show that you meet the criteria for this Activity, the actions are too separate from each other, mainly in time but also in context

Did you mean, my two examples will show I meet the criteria or not?

Because I cannot pick up my prescriptions, do my shopping myself, attend appointments alone. In fact, I have lots of evidence of self neglect. I need prompting to do almost everything, including laundry, cooking, washing. In fact, I don't cook at all because of my risk of concentration and seizures.

I just mentioned those two examples because they are all I can do. I can write an online consultation to the GP but this is usually because somebody is advising me to do it. Then I need help attending the appointment, no help = cancelled appointment or I simply don't bother turning up (though I feel guilty due to the strain on the NHS).

More
10 months 2 days ago #285766 by Gordon
AA

I think you will have difficulty scoring when using the examples you included. The problem is that the two halves of the activities are separated in time sufficiently that those looking at them will consider them to be different activities in which case they don't then work as examples.

If you want better ones, assuming they fit with your issues then you could say.

Having a trigger that you need to make an appointment, it could be a letter or repeating event or something else, making the appointment and then recording the appointment in a diary so you do not forget it.

Then you could do a second one, for checking your diary, arranging a companion and then attending the appointment.

In a similar vein, modify the budgeting one, so that you check your credit card balance before you do any spending and then limit that spending to your available budget.

These present much more coherently and linked tasks that those assessing can recognise as such.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 2 days ago #285785 by Anxious Anonymous
Replied by Anxious Anonymous on topic Definitions of 'Reliably' and 'Majority of the time' for ESA
Hi Gordon,

I did originally score 15 points for my above examples. It was the HCP who said I was withdrawn and needed prompting during my assessment. She mentioned how I am going weeks without showering, can’t do any cooking, cleaning, laundry. I can make appointments but I’m under the watch of the mental health team for suicidal thoughts.

The decision maker accepted this.

I do note however now I have a diagnosis of ADHD and autism which involve planning, prioritising, organisation, problem-solving etc.

As part of my ASD/ADHD, I also have elements of OCD but it still remains that under the care of a psychiatrist I am still in a severe depressive episode. In fact I have been referred to occupational therapy and psychosocial needs assessment.

I have read the DWP consider washing-dressing as part of this task but also the tribunals tried to say that’s an habitual thing and people shouldn’t be judged on that.

It does seem a very confusing descriptor.

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286155 by Anxious Anonymous
Hello,

I'm still looking for some guidance on this.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286183 by Gary
Hi Anxious Anonymous

I cannot add anything extra to what Gordon has already answered, as Gordon rightly pointed out I answered the question thinking it was for PIP.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.