× Members

UC repeat WCA assessment for new condition - will this risk losing my PIP

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285059 by circusmaximus
Hi, please can someone help? I have been in UC work activity group for 4 years and got PIP two years ago after Asperger's diagnosis. Recently had 3 mini strokes so work coach sent new WCA form to me. I am reluctant to complete it for fear of losing PIP, without which I would really struggle due to my Asperger's. Work coach says she wants me in the support group and I trust her, but I don't trust DWP. Can I be mandated to complete the WCA process or can I insist that I have notified the new health condition and insist on a paper based review. I think my work coach may be trying to get me a higher award and put me further away from WRA but I am due to get state pension in 21 months and I'd rather be left alone. This has caused me several meltdowns and I've had to go back on antidepressants. I am having suicidal thoughts again and everything seems hopeless. Please can someone advise?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285079 by BIS
Hi circusmaximus

I can't tell you what to do here - because it's a decision you must make for yourself. It sounds as if you have a very supportive coach. Filling out a new WCA will not suddenly affect your PIP, nor will it lead to you losing it. You could ask them to do a paper-based review for the WCA.

As for your PIP I don't know when your review is due, but they won't suddenly be sending out a review form because you are reporting a change of circumstances for your WCA unless your current PIP award is coming to an end. in the next year or so. If your strokes have affected your mobility you may want to report a change of circumstances for your PIP unless you are already getting enhanced. (I understand that you don't trust the DWP and might not want to even contemplate this. Just be aware that you will not be able to increase your PIP mobility award after you reach state pension age.

At the end of the day, if you don't want to fill out the new WCA form, you don't have to.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , circusmaximus

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285082 by circusmaximus
Hi BIS,

Many thanks for your reply - it answers all my doubts and I feel greatly reassured. I've also made a right mess of my form so I will ask them to send another and extend the due date.

Thanks again, am very grateful,

circusmaximus

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285092 by Gary
Hi circusmaximus

For WCA forms such as ESA 50 or UC 50, you usually cannot get an extension, although we do hear now and again on the forum where members have received an extension, but this is not the norm unlike PIP forms.

Good luck

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.