× Members

esa contribution support group, savings and pension

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285129 by Jean
I am on Contribution Based ESA (support group) and have been for several years. I receive £129.50 per week, I do not receive any means tested benefits, housing benefit etc, however, someone mentioned part of my ESA "might" be made up with an enhanced disability premium? I'm pretty sure I don't get that and thought it was only applicable to people on income related ESA?

I do have some savings but I am also getting to an age I could get access to a small stakeholder pension earlier if I chose but it wouldn't be a lot and don't know how it would affect my ESA. I would prefer to leave this pension until I knew whether I would likely be able to return to work or not as I believe once I have access to it..thats it? Can the DWP make you take your pension early?thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285136 by Gary
Hi Jean

We cannot advise you on your pension, you would need to speak to Pension Wise; www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/pension-wise

If you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA then a lump sum will not affect your ESA but a regular payment will. If the pension is more then £85/week then there will be a £1/week deduction for every £2 in excess of the £85.

Disability Premiums are paid if you receive IR ESA which is means tested, depending on your circumstances you may be eligible to claim EDP but you will need to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation, who will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration; advicelocal.uk

DWP cannot make you take your pension early, your ESA will stop when you reach state pension age, you need to contact Pension Service 3 months before you reach your State Pension age.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285148 by Jean
Thank you Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.