× Members

Urgent help needed please

More
10 months 4 days ago #285680 by Whystar
Urgent help needed please was created by Whystar
Hello, newbie here...

Long story of disability/recent accident etc left me having to leave my role (within their rights) and without income.

I immediately applied for new style ESA and UC.

My ESA claim is being processed and I have a voice message asking me when I would like it to start from. I am awaiting a callback imminently.

I had my UC security check along with my husband on Saturday and we have been lucky enough to get UC and an advance. However a chance comment from the advisor has left me anxious.
"We'd best get this in before your ESA claim or you won't get UC".

Now I know I didn't mishear this but everything I've trawled through on Gov.uk and support sites states I can earn new style ESA and that it'd just be deducted from our UC.

Is this indeed the case?

TBH our UC is not huge but it's enough and we'd survive on it. If ESA messes up our eligibility to UC we'd be stuck if we only received my ESA. Obviously panicking.

Have tried CAB but they were unable to help and I am on hold to Help2Claim (and have been for ages). Its a race to know the correct answer before the ESA woman calls me again...

Anyone able to help urgently please?

Many many thanks,
W

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 days ago #285693 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Urgent help needed please
Hi Whystar

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

You are correct, NS ESA is deducted from UC £ for £, one of the advantages of claiming NS ESA is that it is paid fortnightly, whereas UC is paid monthly.

You can check your benefit entitlements by using an online benefit calculator: gov.uk/benefits-calculators

I would advise you to seek help from a Welfare Rights Organisation, they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration: advicelocal.uk

NS ESA will only last for one year unless you are placed in the support group, you will be sent a work capability Assessment form called a UC50 /ESA50, see our guide;
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.