× Members

UC, part time work and disability.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286791 by Jon-987
UC, part time work and disability. was created by Jon-987
Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a complicated question on behalf of someone I care for. I would imagine that the answer can be found somewhere amongst all of your amazing guides and documents, but at the moment my head is too fried to find them.

Basically the situation is this:

My loved one is due to migrate from tax credits to universal credit.

She has a disability and is currently receiving PIP.

This disability prevents her from working full time. She does have a part time job (28 hours per week) in which reasonable adjustments are made.

However, with the move to UC we have discovered she would be expected to now work 35 hours per week or attend appointments etc. This would not be possible because of her disability.

The question is, what are her options here? Can she claim ESA if she is working part time, or would the fact that she works mean that she will always need to be seeking more work to satisfy the requirements of UC?

I hope I have explained this ok? Happy to provide additional information if needed.

Many thanks in advance,
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #286811 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC, part time work and disability.
J

I'm afraid their options are very limited, as they are working 16 hours or more they cannot claim ESA and they cannot be assessed for Limited Capability for Work under UC which would excuse them from working.

They can still claim UC and they may be able to negotiate with their Work Coach that the 28 hours are adequate but there is no guarantee of this.

Have they put their details into one of the online benefit calculators to see how much better off they might be with UC, if it is only a small amount then they might want to avoid the extra hassle.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
8 months 1 week ago #287002 by Jon-987
Replied by Jon-987 on topic UC, part time work and disability.
Thank you for your reply Gordon, the situation with ESA is as I had expected so thank you for confirming.

Since I last posted here we have uncovered some information regarding UC and the AET (administrative earnings threshold) which my partner appears to comply with. We are going to go ahead and submit the claim and hope for the best.

Many thank again for your help.

Jon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.