× Members

Mixed age couple benefits IR ESA CB ESA / UC

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #287341 by CFremont
Replied by CFremont on topic Mixed age couple benefits IR ESA CB ESA / UC
Many thanks for your reply

I think I just assumed as the HB dept count both our combined income as a couple, it would not matter who was on the Income based payment whether my partner or myself.....or even which one at that.

Thank you for the clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #287351 by KABTT
I'd be quick in asking your HB dept about the change over. In our case a "compliance" officer at the local council phoned, on my partner's 66th, to say claim UC fast because your housing benefit stops now. Partner had been on my ESA claim previously but all entitlement crashed on his birthday. I informed the DWP of his SPA a few months previously and had heard nothing back, so assumed they'd just take off his SP from the ESA. But before I could blink I had a PIP AR1 to fill in and also UC forms to declare health problems and for them to be re assessed. From Oct to Dec 23 I had to read up fast, coming to this site for policy interpretation and guidance.

So you may find yourself pushed onto UC as the system is rolled out nationally - there are details on the site here. ESA is being phased out. The DWP have made my life hard and yet nothing has changed, in fact I'm still waiting for further diagnosis due to the NHS strikes delaying appts. The only thing that changed is my partners SP - my health has not improved. We've not claimed PIP on his behalf yet - he is under a consultant for liver failure and has had RA since his 50s, sometimes making it hard for him to move around but he became accustomed to managing it and working so we didn't think of a PIP claim for him but we're thinking of it now.

Due to the change over from ESA to UC my local HB office now say I have rent arears because UC is paid a month in arears but my council works a month ahead - so I've now got to find nearly £300.

I hope telling you all this helps - but don't be complacent and think they'll give adequate advice and warning, had further issues over the "UC Journal" - UC was stopped over a misunderstanding with written English so that took a few days before Christmas to resolve by phone. Then my "job coach" in Dec 23 said I'd been in the very LCW group since my partners 66th so they didn't know why they were seeing me!! I can't remember the exact term cos I'm tired and unwell!! But it's here on this site - a lifeline for many.

Good luck!! I'm still waiting on the outcome of all the paperwork submitted prior to Christmas for PIP and UC - I come here and find others in a similar boat. I'm ready to appeal with the guides here
The following user(s) said Thank You: CFremont

More
4 months 3 weeks ago #287401 by CFremont
Replied by CFremont on topic Mixed age couple benefits IR ESA CB ESA / UC
Many thanks for sharing your experience

Yes, Im trying to plan ahead before my partners 66 birthday in early April but some of the info is complicated to say the least.

Sometimes it is not that straightforward for mixed age couples

Sorry to hear you are in that situation about the rent owed. Hopefully you will be back on track soon

Again thanks for your comment
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.