× Members

Moving to UC/support group New Style ESA and permitted work

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287683 by Agis
Hi, I'm on New Style esa in support group. Possibly wanting to move to Universal Credit for housing benefit element (moving the area) would that mean that being on Universal Credit I wouldn't be able to have that permitted 16 hours for work.or study? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #287686 by Gordon
A

You can claim UC and retain your current NS ESA, all that will happen is that the ESA will be treated as other income and deducted from your UC £ for £.

You will need to inform UC that you have an ESA award and they should transfer this without assessment to your UC claim and place you in the LCWRA Group, the UC equivalent of the SG.

As to Permitted Work. This does not exist in UC, you can work as many hours as you want, however, if you wish to retain the ESA you must limit your working to LESS than 16 hours and your income must not exceed £167.00 each week, after tax and National Insurance has been taken off.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287688 by adam33
people in the LCW and LCWRA groups on UC get a work allowance, it's about £380ish you can earn a month before they make deductions.

if you aren't on PIP you can't make more than 16 hours weekly at minimum wage, I think this is nearly £800 a month

Someone recently told DWP they'd been doing little bits of work and their UC was suspended immediately pending investigation, if you're already plugged into the permitted work it'll probably be easier to carry on than someone who works without telling them (I'd imagine the thinking is that "this person is capable of work why are they LCW etc")

if you considering switching onto UC for living costs as well you can't be classed as having health problems for the first 13 weeks when you make a fresh application, but there might be some exception for people with a live ESA claim, I'm not sure

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287693 by Agis
My question is am I allowed to work at all if I am in LWCRA support group for universal credit or this can only be unpaid etc. As it seemed to me that the Universal Credit is much more restrictive. Am I thinking right?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #287702 by Gordon

if you aren't on PIP you can't make more than 16 hours weekly at minimum wage, I think this is nearly £800 a month

This only applies to the Assessment stage which does not apply to the OP as they already have an award, which is why I did not mention it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287703 by Gordon
A

As I said in my previous post, yes you are, however, if your doing so calls into question the reasons why you are in the SG then the DWP may decide to reassess your claim.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.