× Members

Received UC Migration Notice for Legacy CB ESA

More
2 months 1 week ago #288046 by Janelly
Hi, I have been on CB ESA LCWRA since 2016 with HB only. My partner is unemployed and claims Carers Allowance only (don't ask). I received a UC Migration Notice in November 2023 and I have delayed claiming because I am worried that it will not be a seamless process, based on what I have read about the differences between the UC and legacy benefits system. Q1. How do I let UC know I am on CB ESA (LCWRA) so that it is acknowledged from my first assessment period Q2. Is it better to claim online or by phone? I have several health issues that cause cognitive impairment and health relapses; the fact that I could trigger sanctions because of forgetfulness or illness (if there are unmet tasks) has me filled with anxiety, so I would have to go online regularly to check the journal just in case. My partner has dyslexia with poor working memory, and I have to proofread his forms, emails and letters, so I cannot rely on him to remember anything without being prompted by me (also anxiety inducing). Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288075 by Gordon
J

There is no need for you to make multiple posts on the same subject, all posts are moderated and will not appear in the forum until approved.

1. As this is a migration the DWP should be fully aware of your existing ESA award but to be safe I would raise it on your UC Journal once the claim is made.

2. I can't offer advice on whether it is better for you to make your UC claim online or by phone.

If the latter then you will have to have the information required to make the claim available when you call but the operator may be able to explain things to you as you go.

Conversely, with an online claim you can take your time but you will be limited in the help available to complete the claim.

In either case, your partner who will be part of the claim as UC is claimed as a couple, may be required to take part in the process, this could be while you are on the phone or by subsequent contact after you make an online claim. You may not be able to avoid this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #288080 by Janelly
My apologies for the multiple submissions as I was having technical difficulties. I emailed support and they did get back to me. Thank you for the advice above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, VIA

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288511 by Janelly

J 1. As this is a migration the DWP should be fully aware of your existing ESA award but to be safe I would raise it on your UC Journal once the claim is made.

Made a claim for UC online and confirmed ID. Patner is 'my' carer and only commitments are to login in regularly and report any changes promptly, no work commitments.

Despite my SG status, putting a note in my journal and phoning the UC helpline, I now have to attend the JCP to agree to look for work and agree to work commitments. TP does not appear to be automatic, nor do I know what action from myself or UC would trigger it on my migration claim.

I asked for a telephone appointment instead via journal but still no acknowledgment or response. You would think because they are migrating thousands of people that there would be some sort of safeguard to ensure the Migration Rules for TP are honoured at outset of claim.

Really distressed about attending, as no way could I ever agree to any work commitments that I cannot comply with on ill-health grounds. Any advice gratefully received.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288520 by Gordon
J

Contact the UC Helpline 0800 328 5644.

Despite millions of claims being transferred to UC there is no interface between these legacy systems and UC. It is more than likely your Work Coach is unaware of your ESA award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288534 by Janelly

Despite my SG status, putting a note in my journal and phoning the UC helpline. I now have to attend the JCP to agree to look for work and agree to work commitments.

I did call them and the person I spoke to left a journal entry for the Case Manager to call me; still no response to date. I will attend my JCP appointment in-person, just not sure what to say when I get there.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.