× Members

ESA

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288412 by Ddolly45
ESA was created by Ddolly45
Hi all

I hope you are as well as can be.

I have a question to ask - sorry if it sounds sill bit I am so confused and cannot find an answer anywhere. Up until Christmas I was working afternoons mon - fri (16.25 hours a week). I have ms and have been in the same job at a school for nearly 20 years. I was full time up until about 7 years ago where I just could not cope with the fatigue etc. I have now stopped working on a Friday so I can recover from the mon - thurs and have a half decent weekend with my husband relaxing, coffee dates etc. As I am now only working 13 hours a week, can I claim ESA? I am so confused as I've read you can claim whilst working but then read you'd be assigned a job coach and have to actively look for work.

Please help! Xxx
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288424 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA
D

ESA will also consider your earnings you will need to earn no more than £167.00 each week, after tax and National Insurance has been taken off

You can claim New Style ESA as long as you can meet the Contribution Conditions, in simple terms you will need 26 weeks of NI Contributions in one of the Tax Years 2021-22 or 2022-23 AND at least 50 weeks of NI Conts or NI Credits in both of the Tax Years.

Alternatively, you can claim UC which does have these requirements.

In both cases, present a Fit Note to be put forward for the Work Capability Assessment. You can find the criteria you will need to meet in our ESA/UC Claim guide, follow the Guides link at the top of the page.

While you wait to be assessed you will be excused from seeking work. this will continue, for a year if on ESA and until reassessed for UC, if you meet the lower test of Limited Capability for Work and until reassessed for both if you meet the higher standard of Limited Capability for Work Related Activity.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #288466 by Ddolly45
Replied by Ddolly45 on topic ESA
Thank you for this Gordon. I am still continuing to work and hope to carry on with the 13 hours a week. I do earn less than £167 a week after deductions.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.