× Members

Managed migration from working tax credit to universal credit

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288949 by Jane52
Thank you Gordon
Will do some research in the links you have sent me
Jane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #288954 by Jane52
Thank you Gordon
Both of these are very helpful
Jane

More
1 month 1 week ago #288982 by Wendy Woo
Thank you Gordon, for these useful links, as I hadn't managed to find this information despite studying the process of managed migration on the gov.uk website from the links in the letter sent to me by HMRC/DWP (I'm not sure which, as the letter wasn't clear). My husband and I are in a similar situation to Jane52, being transferred from Working Tax Credits, which have helped us a lot over the years (particularly when we also received Child Tax Credits), to a new system which is by no means "Universal".

The new system is very much geared against people who are genuinely self-employed and, consequently, suffer large fluctuations in income (in particular, in regard to the Minimum Income Floor). I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer to the pension question either. I've also spent some time on "entitledto", the calculator site gov.uk recommends for people with savings and assets over £16,000, but without any helpful results. (Although I don't think they count your pension as an asset.)

As the transitional protection is only for a year anyway, and the conditions to be met (meetings with a work coach, etc.) will take up so much of the time my husband and I could spend actually working, I'm beginning to think it will be easier to forego "Universal" Credit and use our savings!

Like Jane52, we are close to retirement age and, last year, when I spoke to someone from the Tax Credits helpline, he assured me that our Tax Credits would continue until then! Clearly, he wasn't very well-informed either!

I just hope we can actually rely on the letters we've received from the DWP about when we can claim our pensions - these days, it seems, nothing is certain!

Best wishes,

Wendy Woo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.