× Members

PIP- Mild cognitive impairment

More
1 month 4 days ago #289381 by Orangeblossom
PIP- Mild cognitive impairment was created by Orangeblossom
I'm due a PIP review soon, the first in 5 yrs. have been on it since 2014. I've been on meds like antipsychotics since 2012 and now pain meds too.

GP is saying about mild cognitive impairment and might be made worse from the meds, going to investigate further partly due to genetic predisposition and family history.

My memory has got worse and I think it is causing me possibly more problems than e.g. mood, motivation (diagnosed with severe depression) but I worry that DWP will not understand this. If I look it up online websites seem to state that with mild cognitive impairment 'everyday life is not affected' but it is for me.

Any advice welcome, I'm particularly worried because they tried during my last assessment to say my memory and cognition was Ok because I 'engaged with the assessor' and could tell them my medical history. They didn't do any memory tests (which I had failed in the original assessment) It was overturned at the tribunal but I know what they can be like!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 days ago #289396 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP- Mild cognitive impairment
Hi Orangeblossom

It is common for assessors to say that a person's memory is not affected by how they 'engaged' during the assessment. If you're going to overcome how your condition impacts you, you have little choice but to 'engage'.

If you submit something from your GP that says you have "mild" cognitive impairment - you can almost guarantee that an assessor will misinterpret that, and if you can avoid it I would do so. (Just my person thoughts - you don't have to agree. If you can't and need to include a note from your GP with that ter on it, I would concentrate in your answers on the impact of your "severe depression" and how that has affected your mood, motivation, memory, etc, against the specific PIP criteria for each question.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orangeblossom, C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.