× Members

Student loan cancelation unable to work

More
1 month 1 day ago #289473 by Kit
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has had their student loan cancelled due to being on one of the benefits allowed for this and being permanently unfit for work. I have a student loan I was paying down when in work. It’s still around £8700 after paying off £12000. I got a PIP award for 10 years and that takes me to age 66. With my current disabilities being irreversible physical ones that will only get worse with age I thought I would try and get it cancelled. It will cancel at age 68 anyway under the current rules. Sent off PIP letter and diagnoses re illnesses. The SLC said I need to show Im unfit for work permanently to get it written off. They said my disabilities might improve. They won’t one is the removal of an eye and poor vision in the other eye after multiple operations. Do they think i will grow an eye back!! I have Other illnesses that are progressive and debilitating as well.

An award up to age 66 seems pretty permanent to me as it will be 1 year form state pension and only 2 years before loan written off anyway. I know it doesn't massively matter as I'm not paying it off now and it will hopefully get cancelled at age 68. Although governments short of cash could easily change the rules on that. GP wouldn't write a letter for me as he said technology is always improving and although totally unfit for work now I might not be in the future with advances in assistive technology. I don't think that is a valid reason to deny in the present that I’m currently unfit for work. None of us know what future technology will aid us. Do you think this will be the way they will try and get sick people off benefits by using AI technology etc?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 22 hours ago #289500 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Student loan cancelation unable to work
Hi Kit,

Post approved - hopefully someone can help answer your query.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.