× Members

PIP and ESA back payments and savings

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #289562 by mr cjh
I've just had the results of my latest PIP review and have been upgraded from standard to enhanced rate for the daily care component.
As the review was started in December 2022 I am expecting a back payment.
Similarly I believe I am due a backpayment from ESA as ESA also attracts a premium for receiving enhanced daily care rate?

My concern is that these back payments may temporarily push my savings over the £16,000 limit.
Does anyone know how DWP and local council (for housing benefit) deal with these temporary situations?
Thanks
cj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #289592 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP and ESA back payments and savings
Hi mr ch

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

I hate to bring you bad news but unless you reported a change of circumstances then you will not receive a backdate to December 22, it will be from when a decision was made.

An enhanced disability premium applies to IR ESA, you can receive the premium if you are placed in the support group or receive enhanced daily living component of PIP.

Backdate payment of benefits are usually ignored for one year.

When your savings go over £16k any means tested benefits you receive will stop, between £6k and £16k for every £250 bundle or part bundle you loose £1.00 in tariff income.

We would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Porttalbot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.