× Members

LWCRA backpay - do they write to you to show calculation?

More
1 week 6 days ago #290303 by HJ
Hi,

Please can anyone advise on the following?

I was pleased to post a couple of weeks ago that I'd successfully helped my brother in law win at Mandatory Reconsideration. His letter stated it was applicable from October last year - and stated assessment periods etc - which I'm all fine with. However, it also said we will notify you within 7 working days if we owe you any money. And nothing has been forthcoming - either on his journal or in the post.

I have read posts about people saying money has just appeared in their bank - but surely they have to provide details of how the amount has been calculated somewhere? And if so do they post it on your journal or send you a letter?

He's due to get his next UC payment on 29th and so we will be able to see the calculation for his payment on his journal next Fri - but I understood the back pay was separate - or are they likely to include it all in that?

Has anyone had any similar experiences or advice please?
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #290314 by C
I received the payment, got confirmation I'd been awarded it a few days later, and then a month later got a letter explaining the period that the payment covered. It was all out of order and quite confusing. It might be worth popping a note on the journal to ask how they're tackling it for your brother-in-law specifically because it feels like it differs for every person!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Gary, HJ

More
1 week 5 days ago #290316 by Gary
Hi HJ

Unfortunately we cannot give you an answer, what I would say is to contact UC helpline and ask, remember you do not get anything for the first 13 weeks (assessment phase) after you have handed in your fit note.

You should get a decision letter, as you have rightly stated quite often the money is put in the claimants bank account before they receive a letter.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: HJ

More
1 week 5 days ago #290328 by HJ
Thanks for replying Gary it's much appreciated. His FIT note was July, so I agree with the date they put as eligible from in the letter of Oct. The decision letter was posted in his journal - that was why I was curious as to how they communicate re back pay and calculations - via the journal or by post.
My thought process was if there's nothing in today's post to write a message on the journal. Would you put it under change of circumstances on there? I do hate their options when nothing quite fits what you need to ask......

More
1 week 5 days ago #290333 by Anji
Hi HJ

When my son was awarded backpay for LCWRA he got far less than we thought he would have (he had been receiving fit notes for about 18 months at the time) so we challenged it. We did receive a clear break down of how they had calculated it and he only received a couple of months' back pay due to a gap in providing fit notes. Due to his ADHD he really struggled to call the GP in the window of opportunity they gave between 8.30am and 9am...used to try to keep himself awake all night... and he had missed one or two through the months. Due to this we accepted what they gave him without challenge.
My point being that when we asked them for a breakdown we got a very clear explanation. I think they posted the explanation on his journal.
Good luck with it.
Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Catherine, HJ

More
1 week 5 days ago #290368 by HJ
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, much appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.