× Members

Upcoming Government Proposed Changes

More
3 weeks 6 hours ago #290795 by Chris
Hi All,

A lot of people are extremely worried and concerned about a potential loss to benefits, should the governments changes be implemented - however, please see a post from Martin Lewis (30th April 2024) copied and pasted as seen on his X official page.

Personal Finance guru Martin Lewis today spoke out to reassure people concerned that proposed changes to the Personal Independence Payments (PIPs) are just that - proposals. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has announced a consultation on the changes which aim to reduce the benefits of more than 400,000 people.

One area which is being targeted is those getting financial help suffering from anxiety and depression. This has led to those vulnerable to the change getting very concerned, and Money Saving Expert Mr Lewis acted to say people need to realise that nothing has been decided upon.

Taking to X he said: “I want to say something to the people with mental health conditions that have got in touch with me worried/panicked about the govt news on possible benefits changes... NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.

- The govt has put out a green paper. That is an EARLY STAGE consultation document. After that may come a white paper.

- These things are not quick, if they happen, and this is a general election year - so whether it will happen at a question.

“This type of debate is given attention to create political news and put clear water between parties in an election year. Sadly doing that in the area of mental health, can have a real human impact, terrifying people about changes that may never happen.

“So if you’re worried about it, while I know it's easy to say and hard to do, forget it - for now it is still political hot air.”

The Department for Work and Pensions has said there are now 2.6 million people of working age claiming PIP and DLA – with 33,000 new awards for PIP each month which is more than double the rate before the pandemic. This is expected to cost the taxpayer £28 billion a year by 2028/29 – a 110% increase in spending since 2019. It said: “This is in part fuelled by the rise in people receiving PIP for mental health conditions such as mixed anxiety and depressive disorders, with monthly awards doubling from 2,200 to 5,300 a month since 2019.

Regards, Chris

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW, Bud, ivyfox, Evelyn, Jones1988, Wendy Woo, anees292, den1mon, C, The Dog Mother and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 hours ago #290800 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic Upcoming Government Proposed Changes
Thanks for sharing, the Conservatives are unlikely to win the election (sometime this year) and hopefully Labour will not change the present system. Our area( an agricultural county in the south west of England) has always been conservative but I suspect the Lib Dem’s will win the seat if residents vote strategically!
The following user(s) said Thank You: UB40 Rumrunner, Anji

More
3 weeks 1 hour ago #290811 by den1mon
Replied by den1mon on topic Upcoming Government Proposed Changes
If Labour were going to be any more compassionate toward disabled people they would be shouting from the roof tops against these proposals but they haven't.
Their silence speaks volumes.
Be very careful what you wish for because Labour don't give a stuff about us, any more than the Tories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinW13, C, UB40 Rumrunner, slowlysinking

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #290822 by Wendy Woo
Replied by Wendy Woo on topic Upcoming Government Proposed Changes
Hello,

I know this isn't supposed to be a discussion forum, but I just feel the need to say how horrified I am that any political party could think that demonising and scapegoating people with disabilities might be a vote winner.

Thanks, Chris, for trying to keep it all in proportion for us. There is so much misinformation out there.

Best wishes,

Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, C, UB40 Rumrunner, Chris, Anji

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #290855 by Anji
Replied by Anji on topic Upcoming Government Proposed Changes
Thanks Chris, very helpful.

What gets me is this constant implication that people with mental health issues are somehow swinging the lead. The numbers haven't doubled because people think claiming PIP is an easy thing to do - we all know that isn't true. The numbers have doubled because the government has decimated any mental health support services, counselling services and any early help prevention, meaning that people are left to cope alone.
My son is eventually getting counselling, but it costs a huge percentage of his UC each week. Luckily he has a mother who is financially able to help him out with this but most people are not so fortunate.

Makes my blood boil. And statements like Rishi's are just designed to petrify people into submission while pandering to a certain portion of the electorate. 😖😡

Rant over...

Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, C, UB40 Rumrunner

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #290863 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Upcoming Government Proposed Changes
Hi Anji,

Your "rant" haha - it's totally understandable. Also, there's a lot more pressures on workplaces for better results, with less staff, which causes mistakes, and delays, which then leads to staff sicknesses, and mental health issues etc etc. It's a vicious circle, and putting in place what they're trying to only spells "disaster" to me. There will be more suicides without a shadow of a doubt. Me personally, I hope there's protests and people riot around Rishi - he's abhorrent as a PM!

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, C, UB40 Rumrunner, Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.