× Members

DLA Child Question (Sensitive Topic)

More
2 weeks 12 hours ago #290886 by Steven
DLA Child Question (Sensitive Topic) was created by Steven
Currently, we receive DLA for our daughter who is in high school - we receive the middle care component and the lower mobility right now which has been the case since the initial award began several years ago.

Our daughter has been a victim of grooming a few years ago and this caused a lot of psychological trauma which only presented itself in the past 12-18 months. During these past 12-18 months, the care we provide for her has increased - more so of a night time where it takes a long time for her to 'switch off' and go to sleep - she regularly has nightmares and also bed wetting. Either myself or my wife take turns to sleep in the room with her and this is the same most of the time.

I have rang the DLA helpline and requested a 434 form for a change of circumstances / condition so we're just waiting for that to arrive so we can get it filled out. Our main concern is about supporting evidence as our daughter is very quiet and shy and doesn't like opening up or talking about her feelings. We've explained to her that there is support / counselling available but she's very reluctant to take this up so we have no paperwork that we can provide for any counselling sessions or anything like that.

Everything that has happened to her is of course logged with the Police and we have the crime reference number and we also have a letter / report from a consultant developmental paediatrician which states what she's been through and that there is concerns about her emotional / mental wellbeing.

I just wonder if the above is enough 'evidence' to support the change of condition or is it likely they would request more.

I know this is a sensitive topic so any help / advice welcome and very much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 11 hours ago #290889 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic DLA Child Question (Sensitive Topic)
Hi Steven

reading your post I would say that you have enough evidence, it is how you explain what assistance is needed at night to get the high rate care.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 11 hours ago #290892 by Steven
Replied by Steven on topic DLA Child Question (Sensitive Topic)
Thank you Gary

This is encouraging. I have already started to write everything down in preparation for completing the form. I thought the form would have been available to download and complete / send but I couldn't find it anywhere hence them sending it out by post to me.

More
4 days 17 hours ago #291240 by Steven
Replied by Steven on topic DLA Child Question (Sensitive Topic)
I received and completed the form last week. I made sure to detail what she's been through and how this has affected her and the additional care needs that's arose because of this.

I've also included the developmental pediatrician report and her school IEP.

I imagine that even a child change of circumstances form will still take an age to action - anyone have any idea on the current timescale it's taking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

More
3 days 17 hours ago #291258 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic DLA Child Question (Sensitive Topic)
Hi Steven

Unfortunately, we can't give you an accurate timescale of when you might hear regarding the change of circumstances. It could be less than 6 weeks or it could run into several months.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.