× Members

Migration from ESA to UC

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #291703 by Anneb
Migration from ESA to UC was created by Anneb
Freaking because of the migration from ESA to UC being brought forward as I simply can’t understand various things about UC even though I've read your guide to managed migration. First of all I am an Appointee for my son who is in the support group of ESA as he is in LCWRA group with severe disability premium and disability premium guarantee.

1. Re the importance of the date to claim UC - I understand I need to make the claim before the deadline date BUT at the same time I am concerned that it says the legacy payments stop two weeks after claiming UC despite the fact that UC isn’t paid for five weeks or something like that. Does that mean it’s best to start the claim only a few days before the deadline date so that the person is receiving ESA for as long as possible ?

2. My son receives Housing Benefit which is paid directly to the landlord. My son can’t budget or plan so he needs the rent to be paid directly to the landlord - I see you say there is an “alternative payment arrangement” on UC so that the landlord can be paid by the DWP - how do I ask for that ? I really don’t know how to access indpendent advice about that - looks like it Citizen’s Advice in our area and they are pretty useless.

3. What is this about setting up an online account for UC and then making a claim - isn’t it all one process ?

4. As I am Appointee and will have to set up the online account and make the claim for my son, whose identity does the DWP need - both my son’s and mine ?

5. My son does a small bit of Supported Permitted Work at home, he usually does 2 to 4 hours a week and is paid weekly, pay varies due to the number of hours he does - I am sent his payslips - I’m not sure how this is dealt with in UC.

6. What is that about making a Job Centre appointment ? In managed migration does that need to be done ? We’ve never been to the Job Centre - my son was on Incapacity Benefit nearly 20 years ago !

7. Is UC paid calendar monthly or every four weeks ?

Sorry for all the questions…I’m really freaking about this…always problems, it’s enough being a carer (unpaid as I receive my state pension).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #291752 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Migration from ESA to UC
Hi Anneb

Your questions about UC is outside the remit of the forum, we would advise you to seek advice from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk I will try and answer some of your questions with the limited information we have.

1) Timing is important when applying for UC, you can also ask for an advanced payment which will be recovered from your UC claim overtime.

2) Once you apply for UC your HB will stop, in with your UC award you may be eligible for a housing element (rent + eligible service charges)

3) UC is digital by default on line, there is a UC helpline (0800 328 5644) to help claimants claim.

4) I would speak to UC helpline before starting the process as it does ask you to verify who you are.

5) There is no permitted work with UC, if placed in the LCW/LCWRA group then there is a work allowance and an earnings taper

6) for a UC claim to become live you usually have to see a work coach and sign a claimant commitment, once you sign the claimant commitment, the claim then becomes live.

7) UC is paid calendar monthly, it is paid 7 days at the end of the assessment period.

We would advise you to seek advice.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 weeks 23 hours ago #291762 by Anneb
Replied by Anneb on topic Migration from ESA to UC
Thanks Gary. I realise now that my questions are outside the remit of the forum but thank you for replying. I had thought that perhaps since the Benefits and Work newsletter had relayed what was happening regarding the migration from ESA to UC that there might be some answers for forum members.

I'll have to find a welfare rights organisation, but I think that many disabled claimants will have huge problems financially in the "migration" process from ESA to UC. UC isn't set up for disabled, vulnerable people. For example, I read on the DWP's UC website that the reason they pay monthly is so that claimants get used to how people are paid when they work - but some disabled vulnerable claimants are never going to work - yes they say they can pay twice monthly in some circumstances but that would not be put in place immediately.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.