× Members

PIP - Mandatory Reconsideration

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #292144 by Bridie
PIP - Mandatory Reconsideration was created by Bridie
I am requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration of a PIP decision as I feel that the assessor tried to diminish my disability. In fact. I felt discriminated against as regards the ASD. The fact that I work 2 days a week and undertaking academic study (from home) was taken as evidence of motivation. There was no understanding of my social interaction problems and anxiety. I'm so stressed by this and finding it difficult to do anything. I feel I'm being discriminated against because I'm "high functioning" and as a woman who has received a late diagnosis, have learned to "mask". No weight has been given to the devastating effect on my life.

Have you any tips or can point me to any help? I have two weeks to request the MR.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anji

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #292169 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Mandatory Reconsideration
B

We do not have a specific advice not least because there is not a lot of information in your post but the guides for appealing a Decision in the PIP area, follow the Guides link at the top of the page.

Have you requested a copy of the assessment report, if not then I would do so as this can help you understand how the Decision was made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292179 by Bridie
Replied by Bridie on topic PIP - Mandatory Reconsideration
Thanks Gordon,

Reasons for the decision were given on the letter telling me that no PIP was awarded. I'll have a look at your appeals guide. Seems like they are totally dismissing what is the experience of many autistic people. Equality Act 2010 comes to mind re: discrimination.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292187 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Mandatory Reconsideration
B

What you have is the Decision Maker's reasons for the Decision, their decision was based on the results of the assessment report which should have far more detail.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292215 by denby
Replied by denby on topic PIP - Mandatory Reconsideration
Just sending sympathy as I too am a late diagnosed female with ASD. We definitely are discriminated against due to being 'high functioning' [eg PIP assessor shamelessly using my O levels and A levels against me] My ASD assessment report helpfully pointed out how the cost of masking can cause significant or severe problems. The longer we mask using all our female hormone driven abilities the more the cost builds up. And of course past a certain age those female hormones fall away...those O and A levels were over 40 years ago. Also I realised when a parent and working in education, that a 'spiky profile' of achievement level across different subjects is a red flag. And guess what, my O levels ranged between fail and 'A' grade, and my two only A levels were a 'D' and an 'A', And I never even though about myself in this way till writing this but it fits! This is my life, in some areas I really do struggle but "they" disbelieve it because I don't in other areas.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.