× Members

Inheritance and UC deprivation of capital

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292246 by Abio
Good evening,
I know you won’t be able to give me a definite answer but you could maybe suggest if you think this is reasonable.
Im due to inherit around 25k ish In the next few months.
I have around 5k ish owing to car finance and other accounts plus an overdraft which I hope to pay off.
Also,My current car is a mess, it’s growing mould (which isn’t safe for my child but I have no choice) it has driven around 120,000 miles and has cost me thousands to fix up in the past year! And the insurance keeps going up!

I want to buy a new (not actually new) car, I’m looking at a Peugeot 208/308, they are smallish sized, cheap to insure and run and I need something reliable. I am a student nurse and work in the hospital and I am the main carer for my toddler and disabled partner so a reliable car is essential! If I spend 10-12k
on a car (this is for a 4 ish year old one with low ish mileage and warranty) would they penalise me for this? As paying this amount plus paying off the money I owe would bring me below the benefits threshold I’m worried they will not like this .
I know nobody can really answer of they will accept this as appropriate use of money,but from experience do you think this would be accepted? Or am I wishing too much. I don’t want to be penalised but I also need a functional car that can fit my partner, has isofix for car seat and can fit a pram in the back.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292259 by Gary
Hi Abio

You are correct, we cannot give you an answer as your question is outside the remit of the forum, we would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

You are allowed to use your money to clear any debts, if you need to purchase a newer car make sure you get a receipt, infact get a receipt for any large items as you may be asked what you spent your inheritance on and you could be hit with notional capital.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.