× Members

PIP backpay, savings and Universal Credit

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #292275 by BCAM
Hello,

Please can anyone clarify how Universal Credit view PIP and PIP backpay in relation to savings? In December I was awarded PIP and received £3k backpay. I also receive 4 weekly PIP (high rate living, standard mobility) on top of Universal Credit and my husband’s salary. Universal Credit ask for updates on savings and start making deductions for anything over £6k, but don’t give any guidance at all as to how they view PIP and PIP backpay in these calculations, they just ask for total amounts in bank accounts. It is therefore impossible to tell them the distinction between what is actual savings and what is PIP. I am keeping the PIP and PIP backpay separate as it is being used for ongoing treatment and support.

Please can I ask if anyone knows how to go about reporting my ‘savings’ without PIP or PIP backpay? It has been suggested that the backpay is disregarded by UC for a year - is this right? I am under the £6k limit but don’t want to accidentally get penalised for inadvertently declaring the wrong amounts.

I have asked on my Universal Credit journal but have received no answer after 2.5wks.

I hope this hasn’t been asked before - I’ve searched but not found an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #292305 by Gary
Hi BCAM

You are correct PIP backpay is disregarded for a year. if you do not spend your PIP then it will be classed as savings. As long as your total savingsare below £6k then your means tested benefits will not be affected. for every bundle of £250 or part of, over £6k you will loose £1 in tariff income from your means tested benefits.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCAM

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #292320 by BCAM
Thanks very much for your help
Gary.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.