× Members

Claiming PIP and working/studying/ESA Allowance

More
3 months 1 week ago #292475 by mickey_mouse32
Claiming PIP and working/studying/ESA Allowance was created by mickey_mouse32
Hi

I have been suffering with my conditions(which are quite severe) for years(and haven't received appropriate help/healthcare due to many things and faulty system and negligent, reckless doctors).

I always worked full time despite my condition as doctors neglected severity of my disability& my condition kept deteriorating rapidly(and I just carried on with painkillers, compression socks, those knee braces, special shoes and insoles and pain relief creams) and I am currently in non functional state. I have also been victim of abuse by some ppl who stole majority of my life income, student loans& victim of disability advisor who misassesed my condition and robbed me of relevant disability support leading my to no degree and massive debts. First-I was assessed by her as disabled, she made relevant reports, pushed me to create taxi account and once I said all was in place and I was ready to start using services, she started saying things to me-that she made mistake, that I do not look that disabled, that I am exaggerating& lying about my condition, and she coerced me to write email to DSA withdrawing from taxi service, confused me and later I had to take public transport and with all going on I failed. What happened is disaster.

Currently my financial and life situation doesn't look great and financially I can't cope anymore. Not only financially I can't cope. I live in dirt, in filth, with piles of dirty laundry, constant lack of clean clothes, even if I manage to do laundry-laundry sits in washing machine for hours before I take it out(or flatmate has mercy to put it out on table on bin bag). Hanging up laundry-It can take me 2-3 days, or laundry gets to point it needs to be re-washed and cycle starts again and if i rewash there is no guarantee I will hang it up. I am attempting to work full time to meet ends but is not working well as job is standing(by full time we are talking 30h contract minus breaks). In past(2022-2023) I worked part time(like within ESA limits) and claimed ESA(for about year) but I was living in poverty. I went hungry all the time, never do anything, do not see my family as can't afford. Just go to work, come back, and sleep due to pain and hunger. Never have energy bcuz I do not eat enough healthy food(just cheap trash). Forget buy anything, do things for myself, forget any outing or any holidays. I currently have stack of dishes by sink that has been there for a week. I am unable to clean them on normal basis. I can't take out trash bins downstairs to collection bins. My room is dirty too. I struggle to do monthly house cleaning I share with flatmates.

I have been reading about help available and calling Student finance england to ask about help for 2nd degree chance due to what happened& about my health. They gave me advise about 'compelling reasons' for 2nd full time funded degree but also mentioned part-time degree and they said, my first course attempt wouldn't matter as I never obtained qualification.

So I did some maths, but I am also curious on all legal aspects.

*SFE part time course loan could be up to 6,935£(depending on location, course intensity, household income). I am likely going to get it all as I am privately renting in shared flat& have no family living with me, no support, nothing.
*I decided to begin PIP application form(as on top of my severe disability I have mental health condition that is rather severe).
I can't be certain about outcome(what I will get if anything) but I hope for help as its not possible to function anymore.

And I am getting to most troubling part that affects the whole situation most. So I will try to explain it to my best capacity:
*If I decided to go for part time course-I could get 6,935£ student funding plus disability allowances(eg. note taker, taxi service). Part time course I would go for would be below 16h.
*At same time of doing course, I would like to remain employed part time(below 16h) which would roughly come to 90-180£ depending on hours.
*At same time I would be claiming PIP if I am successful.
*And here is tricky questions: If I get SFE, I work part time, claim PIP, would I still be entitled to ESA allowance?

Bcuz there are technicalities(like eg. to claim esa your income needs to be below certain amount& below 16h/week), then you can claim ESA& PIP together, but can you study and work in the same time, or DWP would assess it as too much(you being too healthy)? Bcuz the thing is, I am not healthy at all but currently I found myself a job 2 bus stops from my house(makes it easier)& studying would be distance learning from my house& in case I need to attend uni-I would use taxi services). Like, am I overcomplicating things? How DWP would look at it? I just want to get all possible help for myself after years of struggle, being neglected, and being led to current life status. I really need money& to recover.

So technically, if I study below 16h per week and work below 16h a week(like total of 30h per week) would I be still entitled to all above benefits or I can get in trouble? I am not trying to cheat out system. I would be totally honest about what I am doing(as from info I found it seems I would be doing nothing wrong) but is it legally okay(as I prefer to check and stay on safe side, rather than be accused of fraud/having to repay things)? Bcuz I can't find relevnt information anywhere about combo of ESA, PIP, 16h< study and work at same time. Who would know? Citizens Advice? DWP?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #292509 by Gary
Hi micky_mouse32

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

Your question is outside the remit of the forum; we would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk . You may also be able to gave advice from NUS; www.nus.org.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.