× Members

Universal credit and being unwell

More
1 week 1 day ago #292499 by Jane52
Universal credit and being unwell was created by Jane52
Hello

Can you explain how disability and being unwell affects claiming universal credit. I have my first meeting at the job centre re my universal credit tomorrow. I have been unwell over last few days with a cold and temperature and being unwell has caused me to have a seizure ( I have epilepsy). I have not worked over the last few days as I recover. When claiming tax credits I would just catch up on work when feeling better. Can you explain how this works under univeral credit as I have a disability and long term illness and there will be times when I need to reduce my work as I recover. Thank you for help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #292516 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Universal credit and being unwell
Hi Jane52

When you have your appointment with your workcoach, you need to explain how your condition affects you, if you can get a fit note from your doctor, then give it to your workcoach.

At your first meeting tomorrow, your workcoach will discuss your current situation, at this stage you need to raise your ill health, yourworkcoach will then produce a claimant commitment for you to sign, this is a contract and until it is signed your UC claim does not go live.

The conditions for claiming Universal Credit are set out in a "claimant commitment" that most people will have to accept at the beginning of their claim. If you are part of a couple, you will each have a separate claimant commitment that may be different from each other's.

People who may not need to accept a commitment include those who lack capacity, those who have exceptional circumstances  where it would be unreasonable to expect them to agree a commitment (this is decided by the work coach on a case by case basis), or, From 15 February 2022 people with a terminal illness and less than 6 months to live were also excluded, and from 4 April 2023 this was extended to 12 months. 

There are 4 conditionality groups:

* Group 1. No work related requirements
* Group 2. Work-focused interview requirement
* Group 3. Work preparation requirement
* Group 4. All work-related requirements

www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Claimant-commitment-Universal-Credit

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.