× Members

PIP review, was late, due to extreme circumstances.

More
3 months 5 days ago #292751 by Katyk
I had review form for PIP and phoned CAB for appointment, it was after form was to be returned by, but I was advised, no problems we will explain the delay to PIP. During that time, my brother collapsed outside his home, I was phoned, as next of kin, to return to my brother, I was only coming through my front door after visiting my brother. So had to ride back to my brother’s 4 miles on my bicycle. My brother was taken to hospital and his large staffy was left to me to sort out. I tried going back and forth to my home to feed my cats and getting phone calls of howling/barking dog at my brother’s home. I was stressed and had to keep this up for 5 days non-stop, I suffer horrendous Migraines & the day I was supposed to complete my review form with CAB I was suffering nausea, throbbing & painful Migraine. I phoned CAB to cancel, they gave me another appointment for 2 weeks later & told me to phone PIP DWP and let them know, I did and was told over phone my case was closed. Upset I explained the reasons, the adviser said when you receive our letter, you have 4 weeks to send the completed form in with a cover letter explaining reasons for delay. But, when I had phone app. with CAB, the adviser told me to forget it and ask for a new claim form for PIP. I worriedly questioned this advice and was assured, best “course of action” Thus, I phoned and asked for new claim form for PIP, I really am in a terrible state stressed out, I moved my brother organised and sorted alone, got him to a place nearer to family, then he suffered a very serious fall, multiple fractures…and I had too take charge again…the stress was through the roof. Anyway, after I asked for new claim form. I was angry at myself for following this advice,as PIP people had already told me to send review claim form in with an explanatory note. I did send a detailed letter in afterwards asking PIP could they reconsider their decision re my PIP. My PIP was stopped on 15th and my ESA was reduced to a total of £159.05 week. I am so confused and not sleeping, eating, very frequent Migraines and now I really don’t know where to go for help with this problem with PIP, I was on enhanced for both mobility and care.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 days ago #292771 by BIS
Hi KatyK

I am so sorry you find yourself in this position. I don't understand why the CAB gave you such advice - the moment you didn't return your review form, your claim was in peril. They should have told you to phone and check the status of your claim.

Then, when you did get through and were told to send in the form - I don't know why you were then given contrary advice by the CAB, especially when you were on advanced for both. The last thing you wanted to do was to complete a new form.

I honestly don't know what to advise you here. You can try contacting the DWP again and asking to speak to a case manager to see if they will reconsider opening your claim again. Say that you were ill advised and because of family pressures you didn't understand the system.

Just be aware that the more you say that you had to help out your brother - they will be tempted to ignore your issues and think you could sort out him, so you could send in the form. You need to emphasise that you were not in the position to think straight.

If they refuse to open up your case, your only choice is to start the process again and put in a new claim. This will take some weeks to be processed.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katyk

More
3 months 4 days ago #292777 by Katyk
Thank you. I will try phoning them again, as you suggested. I am totally in bits due to my brothers problems and my own and this seems to be the icing on the cake!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.