× Members

NEW DIAGNOSIS SINCE RECENT PIP REWARD

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292907 by Sally
Hi,

I have recently been awarded the enhanced rate for PIP due to my mental health. However, since having X-rays I have now been diagnosed with Arthritis in my right hand and right hip. I am still waiting on my MRI result. I did mention at my assessment that I had pain in my hip and after walking was in pain most days, found it difficult to climb stairs and get into the bath. But they said that there was not enough evidence to award the mobility. With regards to my hand I did not know what the pain was but have had it for over a year now and can no longer open jars, turn taps and gripping items. I have pain and swelling most days.

The doctor has prescribed Napraxon 500mg and Codeine 30mg for the pain and referred me for physio at the hospital for my hip.

Do I need to inform PIP of the new diagnosis for mobility as I know this condition is not going to get any better.

I have two weeks to inform them of any changes.

Any advice would be most helpful.

Regards
Sally

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292908 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic NEW DIAGNOSIS SINCE RECENT PIP REWARD
HI Sally

If you want to try for a mobility award, then you will need to put in for a change of circumstances. You need to make it clear that you only want them to consider mobility and not daily living. Just be aware they sometimes ignore the instruction to only look at part of an award.

You should only do this if you believe you will be awarded enough points. Remember, it is not the diagnosis that counts, it is how a condition impacts a claimant against the specific PIP criteria. It's good that they are aware you have experienced difficulties for some time.

When you put in for a change of circumstances, they generally send out a review form. You said that you had a recent award - you could try asking them to make a paper-based assessment rather than you being forced into a new review. There is no certainty how they will react.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: pollenpath

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292926 by Sally
Replied by Sally on topic NEW DIAGNOSIS SINCE RECENT PIP REWARD
Hi Bis,

Thank you for the above advice, it has been very helpful.

Sally

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.