× Members

Saving for house and Transitional protection

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #292999 by Kittykatz
Hello,

I received a bit of inheritance and I'm saving to buy a property to live in. I have just been moved through migration to Universal credit. UC said after 12 month assessment period my savings will be counted if I still have them towards my UC. Is this still the case if I can prove I am actively seeking to move with these savings? I have a mortgage advisor who works with vulnerable people and those on benefits. I expect I will have moved within this time but I just wanted to check.

My transitional protection has increased (Substantially) since I moved to UC from WTC. I phoned and sent a message on my journal asking DWP to explain how this has been worked out and told them what I was receiving in WTC and I thought my TP would be the same and DWP said in my journal I'm getting the correct amount. I will also be getting even more of an increase once I move as I will not have the savings I currently do. I contacted my local advice shop and they said they don't know and I should contact UC. I am worried DWP have made a mistake and I will be liable for this in the future.

Can someone please advise.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #293054 by Gary
Hi Kittykatz

Your question is outside the remit of the forum; we would advise you to seek advise from your Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk

If you have moved from tax credits onto universal credit in the managed migration and have capital of more than the upper limit of £16,000, the capital over this limit can be disregarded for the first 12 months of your universal credit award.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kittykatz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid