× Members

Telephone Assessment - No Voice

More
2 months 6 days ago #293277 by Lisa
Telephone Assessment - No Voice was created by Lisa
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me or has been in this situation themselves.

I have something wrong with my throat/voice, along with other problems, and have explained this and sent medical evidence to back this up but have still received an appointment for a telephone assessment. I called via relay this morning to explain my problem and was told that they don't offer paper based reviews.

I've just sent a further email now to the health assessment advisory service, but I am at a loss what to do. I can only say a few words at most at one time then maybe a few more a few hours later.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 5 days ago #293283 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Telephone Assessment - No Voice
Hi Lisa

You haven't said which organisation you are dealing with or for which assessment type it is.

If it is for PIP - Put in a formal request to change the assessment type - they have to consider it. Say in the politest way that you are being discriminated against as you are unable to speak and give a fair representation of your needs. If they don't want to do a paper-based assessment, they can return your papers to the DWP to do one. So use the words "formal request" - and then put that request in writing - to the assessment service and a copy to the DWP. If they refuse - you put in a second formal request to change the assessment type. I would also write to the DWP today, saying what you have already tried to do.

If it is for ESA/UC you can still request to change the assessment type - but I don't think they accept two challenges. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I know you said that you have sent them proof of your throat /voice problems - but would your GP back you up with a letter saying that you cannot take part in a telephone assessment? If they provide you with a letter on short notice, that might help.

With your difficulties in speaking, this might be impossible, but if you have anyone who could speak on your behalf, I would contact your local MP's office and ask them to help. Some do work quite quickly, others are hopeless.

If you have to go through the assessment, ensure you have told them you want the assessment recorded. (The chances are that will delay it anyway). You also should make your own covert recording of the assessment. If you have a friend or relative who can be with you on that call, have them there and make it clear you are not alone. If your voice just goes, they can step in and say what has happened.

Can't think of anything else to suggest.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 5 days ago #293322 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Telephone Assessment - No Voice
Thank you, I will put that request in writing today. I'm not sure if it's for pip assessment or esa review as both were sent off a few months back. The letter with appointment on came from the health assessment advisory service

More
2 months 4 days ago #293339 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Telephone Assessment - No Voice
Hi Lisa, I believe that would be an ESA review then. Hope that helps at least identify them.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293639 by Lisa
Just to update in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation...

Pip have agreed to a paper based assessment after I took your advice and wrote to them formally requesting one.

Esa on the other hand have refused - I cancelled my first telephone appointment with them and they have instead sent out a face to face appointment for Monday 29th, which they are insisting still stands, so I shall be off to that with my pen and paper!

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #293640 by Lisa
Also, just too add - I did include medical evidence too...

I find independent assessment services to be much more helpful than health assessment advisory service

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.