× Members

Natural migration to UC from IR ESA when in the LCWRA group getting SDP

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #293904 by David
Universal Credit is applied for online ( including a smart phone ). Some people with an appropriate disability are able to make a telephone claim but that is the exception.

This is a good video from Universal Credit in Action about claiming Universal Credit. Ignore the bit about ID as Gov. Verify has changed and as you get ESA, ID should not be an issue.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anneb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #293906 by Anneb
I must say there are some immediate issues with the Universal Credit claim form shown in the video:

1. As Appointee I will be claiming for my son, somehow I will need to make this clear right at the start of the claim because although the claim will have my son's name, postal address and possibly bank account number, it will have to have my email address and my mobile telephone number. (ESA and PIP know that I am Appointee because - an advisor at ESA told me the other week when I phoned asking about my son having both CB ESA and IR ESA, that all their records right back to Incapacity Benefit show I am Appointee.)

2. In the employment status section it is clear the form is for people who are or who have been in work. My son does 2 to 3 hours per week "supported permitted work" - surely I do not tick the box that he is "employed"? ....but there is no box to tick that a person is unable to work.

More
1 month 1 week ago #293928 by Gary
Hi Anneb

When you see the workcoach you can explain everything then, I would produce a bullet list of things you want to say at the appointment so you don't forget and then tick them off as you go through them.

The online application is meant to be simple and straight forward, we know that not all claimants applications are simple or straight forward, which is why it should be pointed out to their work coach before they sign a claimant commitment.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anneb

More
1 month 1 week ago #293931 by Gaddy
Hi Anneb,

I will also be migrating to UC from September and am worried too Citizens advice have a helpline for those of us forced to claim UC from legacy benefits, they offer support dealing with the claim form etc.
You can call them and register as I have done, you are given a reference number and asked to call again when you receive the migration notice.
Perhaps for a least a little peace of mind you might consider contacting them. I just googled Citizens Advice migration to UC help.

Best wishes,

Gaddy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Anneb

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.