× Members

Perching stool

More
1 week 3 days ago #294675 by VIA
Perching stool was created by VIA
Dear fellow members and moderators,

I was told at my last PIP I could use a perching stool for cooking.
I have never used one but I can see them on the internet.

Do you think this time by saying I cannot use a perching stool because of my spinal stenosis, and that because sitting straight causes my spine nerves getting pinched down to sacrum, groin and leg, they might say it is reasonable not to use one.
I told them before I could not sit straight due to lower back pain and shooting pain down my legs but I had no diagnosis confirming spinal stenosis then. I have the mri diagnosis now.

I have never used a perching stool in the bath, and I cannot sit as I could not get back up, and I have had multiple falls and head ct scan. I have never seen a perching stool for real except on the internet but I do not see how they could safely stand on my bath.
Can we use perching stools in bath, surely not, maybe in showers? ( I do not have a shower)

I was recently diagnosed spinal stenosis, worsening of OA of hips needing hips replacements ( I do not want the hip replacements), OA of knees etc

Any input or advice about perching stools for preparing food or for washing Bath?/shower would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Best wishes
VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago #294702 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Perching stool
Hi VIA

We always advise claimants to be open and honest, if you cannot use perching stool explain why you cannot use one.

Lots of people use perching stools in kitchens and bathrooms (mainly showers) for those who do not have a shower some claimants use a body board which goes over the bath and you sit on it rather than sit in the bath.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

More
1 week 2 days ago #294713 by VIA
Replied by VIA on topic Perching stool
Thank you Gary,

Is a normal chair to sit on accepted as an aid, while preparing food, if we cannot stand to prepare and cook food? (last time I got 2 points for aids)

I really appreciate your kind help.
Best wishes
VIA

More
1 week 1 day ago #294716 by Vixen
Replied by Vixen on topic Perching stool
I, personally cannot use a perching stool for several reasons one being that it throws my balance ‘off’ having poor balance to start with. Another thing to consider: can you move the stool around the kitchen unaided? They are not light things. You have to perch at the sink. the work top., the cooker etc. All need the stool moving.

More
1 week 1 day ago #294740 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Perching stool
Hi VIA

Yes a normal chair can be classed as an aid, remember you have to explain why you use the chair when preparing food.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.