× Members

Paying off debts on an ESA persons credit card

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #295143 by BarbaraG
Hello - My son receives PIP and irESA. He is autistic and has run up huge debts on his credit card by his impulsive buying. I would like to pay off these debts for him as this is causing us both huge anxiety - If I do pay them off will this action upset DWP and compromise his benefits?
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #295145 by David
Hi BarbaraG,

I would have a read of this article from Experian which suggests that creditors can be paid off by a third party.
www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/can-...lse-pay-off-my-debt/

I would though get this endorsed by an official Debt Adviser. Don't pay for debt advice there are lots of free resources such as Stepchange.

It sounds as if your son would be eligible for a DRO ( Debt Relief Order ). A DRO would annul all your son's debts. You can get free advice on this from Stepchange or Community Money Advice ( I volunteer for Community Money Advice )

It is not a deprivation of capital according to the DWP to pay off a debt so his Benefits would be unaffected

www.stepchange.org/how-we-help/debt-advice.aspx

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: VIA, BarbaraG

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #295148 by BarbaraG
Replied by BarbaraG on topic Paying off debts on an ESA persons credit card
Thank you for your fast response and your time in considering my anxiety - Barbara
The following user(s) said Thank You: David

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #295182 by BarbaraG
Replied by BarbaraG on topic Paying off debts on an ESA persons credit card
Hello again - I was very grateful for David's advice yesterday and it prompted me to ask JobCentre Plus direct - took a bit of courage but after 1 hour and 26 ,minutes on the phone waiting I finally got the answer - it is OK to pay off the debts of a person receiving PIP and irESA. The only thing that would compromise the benefits would be to put a sum of money into that person's bank account. Phew!!!!

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #295186 by David
Hi BarbaraG,

I'm glad they gave you an answer eventually. You can put money into your son's bank account but the amount must be less than £6000. You would be able to pay in another sum of £6000 as long as your son had spent the previous £6000 legitimately and according to DWP rules paying off debts is legitimate expenditure.

David

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.