× Members

Appeals tribunal Fibromyalgia

• Queenarc
  • Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #62747 by Queenarc
Replied by Queenarc on topic Re:Appeals tribunal Fibromyalgia
First of all a big thank you to all who read and commented about my posts on Fibromyalgia.
I am gathering my final pieces of paperwork together for my fast approaching tribunal.I just want to say that when I was having mt ATOS medical I was congenial with the doctor. I feel that he did lure me into a false sense of security in his pleasantness at asking me questions which I answered to the best of my ability. Basically he engaged in a VERY relaxed conversation to gain how I performed the simple everyday tasks. He asked if I could cook and shop for myself- this could be used as an indication of my mobility and competence.I can do these things up to a point but he did not take into consideration the effects of fatigue and pain and other related issues had on my being due to the fibromyalgia. Obviously the ability to do small tasks shows evidence of general competence,but I found it Evidence-building and confusing.
My 'problem' is that I am a people pleaser and nice to everyone.T he report I got back from ATOS made me out to be an athlete.Would it help if I pointed this out to the tribunal that the doctor who performed the medical interpreted my comments in such a negative manner. ie he often goes shopping for groceries at the supermarket weekly and usually shops with wife due to preference...what bearing has this got with Fibromyalgia?
Any helpful comments regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
12 years 9 months ago #62757 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Re:Appeals tribunal Fibromyalgia
Queenarc wrote:

First of all a big thank you to all who read and commented about my posts on Fibromyalgia.
I am gathering my final pieces of paperwork together for my fast approaching tribunal.I just want to say that when I was having mt ATOS medical I was congenial with the doctor. I feel that he did lure me into a false sense of security in his pleasantness at asking me questions which I answered to the best of my ability. Basically he engaged in a VERY relaxed conversation to gain how I performed the simple everyday tasks. He asked if I could cook and shop for myself- this could be used as an indication of my mobility and competence.I can do these things up to a point but he did not take into consideration the effects of fatigue and pain and other related issues had on my being due to the fibromyalgia. Obviously the ability to do small tasks shows evidence of general competence,but I found it Evidence-building and confusing.
My 'problem' is that I am a people pleaser and nice to everyone.T he report I got back from ATOS made me out to be an athlete.Would it help if I pointed this out to the tribunal that the doctor who performed the medical interpreted my comments in such a negative manner. ie he often goes shopping for groceries at the supermarket weekly and usually shops with wife due to preference...what bearing has this got with Fibromyalgia?
Any helpful comments regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Paul

QA,

I understand what you say about being nice, it is indeed "Nice to be Nice",

In ATOS's case they do indeed try to make you relaxed, not though for positive reasons.

I would advise anyone attending an ATOS face to face, to keep straight faced, and be quietly assertive, of course not possible for some people to control their emotions, this is where taking someone with you comes in, they can be "calmly assertive" on your behalf.

As to your question, the ATOS HCP, makes assumptions, (generally negative to the claimant) from the answers given, so as to shopping with the the wife, as a "preference", they infer that it is not a necessity, and the act of going shopping infers, few mobility issues re: your chronic widespred pain, due to Fibro.

Absolute bunkum, of course, this is why Derek says, that ATOS, HCP's should be known as "Dr Assumption".

If you had someone with you taking notes, you could use said notes to help prove a wrong assumption, or indeed a covert audio recording.

If not, don't forget actions fall under the criteria of being able to be done, Repeatedly, Reliably, and Safely.

Use the guides here on appealing.

hope this helps

bro58

• Queenarc
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #63187 by Queenarc
I went to the tribunal today.araeally need not have bothered!There were two people- amale doctor and female judge. They explained they were there to make sure the law had not been broken by the DWP. They asked the usual questions and the doctors eyes just glazed over when I mentioned Fibromyalgia. To cut a long story short I lost. I would like to know whether the DWP will now stop paying the lower rate of my ESA. I sent a sick note in 2 weeks ago from my GP which covers me for 3 months. Will I still continue to get that or now that I have been through the tribunals process and lost, does it stop altogether?
Any thoughts on where I go from here.
Many thanks for your comments Paul

More
12 years 8 months ago #63194 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Appeals tribunal Fibromyalgia
Queenarc

I'm sorry that you weren't successful with your appeal.

Now that the original Decision has been upheld, your Assessment rate payments will stop, your options are as follows;

- You can appeal the Tribunal Decision, but only if you can show that there has been an error of law or procedure. If you want to look at this as an option then the first thing you need to request a Statement of Reasons from the Tribunal Service. You will need the assistance of an advisor with experience of appealing to the UT as this is not something that you should consider doing on your own.

- On the assumption that it has been more than six months since the original Decision, you can lodge a new claim for ESA, hopefully with more success. This can run in parallel with any appeal to the UT.

- You can of course claim JSA.

If we can help you more, please come back to the forum.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Queenarc
  • Topic Author
12 years 8 months ago #63205 by Queenarc
Dear Gordon, I am currently in receipt of ESA at the current level of £137 per fortnight. My current sick note runs out in september 2011. Will this fortnightly payment now stop since the decision of the tribunal today even though my sick note is current. Thanks Paul

More
12 years 8 months ago #63208 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Appeals tribunal Fibromyalgia
Queenarc wrote:

Dear Gordon, I am currently in receipt of ESA at the current level of £137 per fortnight. My current sick note runs out in september 2011. Will this fortnightly payment now stop since the decision of the tribunal today even though my sick note is current. Thanks Paul

Without looking it up, I believe your payments stop at the end of the payment period in which the Tribunal reached it's Decision. This means that you will receive no further payemnts but will not be required to pay back any partial payment.

I am afraid the the Fit note is now irrelevant with regard to this claim, whether you pursue an appeal to the Upper Tribunal or not.

As I mentioned in my previous post, you should be able to make a new claim for ESA, in which case your existing FIt note will cover you, and you will of course be entitled to the ESA Assessment rate while you claim is processed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.