× Members

ESA NICB Query

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #101894 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA NICB Query

Bud wrote: You maybe right Bro58
Its hard to accept that after 365 days that I wont be getting any benefits at all even although I have well documented health problems.

Maybe one day somebody will find a Rosetta stone to dechyper the ESA hieroglyphs

The major issue for anybody wanting to re-claim ESA(CB) after having it time limited, is the new third Contribution condition introduced by the Welfare Reform Act 2012, that requires one of the tax years used for NI Contributions to be newer than the ones used previously to claim the benefit, which is not mentioned to in the CAB document that you refer to.

Ignoring any other issues with NI Contributions, even for someone who was working immediately prior to their claiming ESA, there are only a narrow set of circumstances in which they would be able to make a new claim for ESA(CB). The Contribution rules were more limited under IB, so they will not be able to meet this additional condition, which was the intention of this clause.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #101899 by Billy
Replied by Billy on topic ESA NICB Query
so in theory esa is not a continuation of IB but a new claim, and they are wanting somebody to work for a year who are unfit to work, in reality they are targeting people like me that has been on IB for a while
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #101905 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA NICB Query

Bud wrote: so in theory esa is not a continuation of IB but a new claim, and they are wanting somebody to work for a year who are unfit to work, in reality they are targeting people like me that has been on IB for a while

That is not what I said :)

As I said I a previous post, when you were transferred from IB to ESA you were not required to meet the Contribution Conditions as you had already done so for IB.

However, to become eligible for ESA(CB) again then you need to make a new claim for ESA(CB), this has to be separated from the original claim by a minimum period of 12 weeks or it is classed as a continuation, and you need to meet all three of the Contribution conditions to be eligible.

As I understand it, the Government's argument is that those who are not eligible for ESA(IR) at the end of the 365 days have an alternate means of supporting themselves, in your case, a partner working full time. I offer no comment on the validity of this argument.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Billy

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #102174 by Billy
Iam a bit confused here, Correct me if Iam wrong I read in another post that when I use up the 365 days and then continue on for a full year without benefits and i accumulate I years NI credits that I can claim ESA CB support group if my condition deteriorates as long as my claim is unbroken
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by bro58.

• bro58
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #102177 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA NICB Query

Bud wrote: Iam a bit confused here, Correct me if Iam wrong I read in another post that when I use up the 365 days and then continue on for a full year without benefits and i accumulate I years NI credits that I can claim ESA CB support group if my condition deteriorates as long as my claim is unbroken

Hi B,

That is correct, I assume that you are referring to my post, here :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...d=10&id=97602#102167

I did also mention this at Post #101844 of this topic, here, in the last paragraph :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...97532&start=6#101844

bro58

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #102180 by Billy
yes bro I was referring to that , could you also tell me if you will be automatically reassessed after the I years credits

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.