Massive changes to personal independence payment (PIP) are being consulted on in the Modernising Support Green Paper to be published by the government today.  Any changes will only be put into law if the Conservatives win the next general election and the green paper is widely seen as an attempt to put pressure on Labour to declare its position on benefits.

The proposed changes are believed to include:

• Ending PIP assessment for people with the most serious health conditions, including those with terminal illnesses.
  • Changes to current descriptors, especially those relating to aids and appliances.
  • Changes to the qualifying period for eligibility for PIP, to ensure it is only available to people whose condition will be long term.
  • Considering if PIP should only be available to people with a formal diagnosis by a medical expert.
  • One-off grants instead of regular cash payments for some claimants who need adaptations or special equipment.
  • Vouchers instead of cash payments.
  • Reimbursing claimants who provide receipts for the purchase of aids, appliances or services.
  • Providing people with lower extra costs due to their health condition with treatment, rather than regular payments.

The Modernising Support Green Paper will be published later today.

UPDATE: You can read more about the Green Paper and how to take part in the consultation here:  Replace PIP with a catalogue and decide whether food or medication is more important for disabled people - 2024 PIP changes Green Paper

Comments

Write comments...
or post as a guest
People in conversation:
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
    anna · 5 days ago
    sp now the life of disabled people is a tool in a ellection war?
    I am disabled with sever mental health disabilities I am going to be unable to claim my pip because I am not dying? I dont understand that yet vouchers , like in communism...
    Jan · 5 days ago
    How do we pay for our shopping online with vouchers?how do we pay bills with vouchets
    Taxis and shops wont take them
    Just leave it as it is ( cash) my friend in scotland are not going to vouchers they are all being transfrred to sdp or somthing like thst  if scotland can have cash then we should as well
    David smith · 6 days ago
    It's turning into a communist country and we are just letting it happen they took away the severe disability premium got away with it then went after the self employed now they have returned to the disabled to control what we spend where we spend it and monitor us constantly I suffer from psychological issues when I'm on my meds I'm half alright just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong end this green paper before it begins
    Miss Sharon Trenholme · 6 days ago
    I am so confused about this i really don't know how this is going to work for us. Can you please explain. I know you mentioned about 1 of grant vouchers and catalogue but how is it going to work please. So confusing and it's really stressing me to sorry. Were the cataloge for who except the voucher etc. it really needs to be explained better to people cause people who need help and support suffering with health issues will be like me sorry confused and stressed out about every. Many thanks miss Sharon Trenholme Also when are people going to receive these vouchers and when do we get our catologe please and I don't know how to order things so it's really going to make matters worse for me and I can barely get out my flat due to health issues. I barely get any help and support as it is sorry
    Martin Brocklesby · 9 days ago
    I think it's very disgusting that the government wants to give us people on PIP. Vouchers how is a Voucher going to pay for water bills, electric bills, gas bills and any other bill that extra bit if help from PIP was helping. Not everyone on PIP needs to have wheelchairs or help. I suffer from paranoid schizophrenia I do work 15 hours a week. Conservative party have lost my vote. They are the ones that are doing this. Sunak I guess has never had mental health conditions or physical conditions. He doesn't know how to run a county he's a number cruncher.
      Miss Sharon Trenholme · 6 days ago
      @Martin Brocklesby I totally agree with you X it's going to make matters worse and it's going to effect people health more in my eyes. I can barely sleep at the moment X so worried and confused about it all. I barely get any help and support as it is. And I am more aless flat bound due to my health and I really don't no what is going on to be honest.
    Jan · 11 days ago
    Its disgusting what about the young adults who struggle with life as it is this will cause more mental illness to these individuals.There isnt any help now for mental illness as there are no resources or enough proffesionals in this field.
      Miss Sharon Trenholme · 6 days ago
      @Jan I really hope they listen to us all about what we have to say X cause at the moment i just feel that know 1 is listening to my issues and appion and it's really not fair. Feel like I am just getting pushed to a side once again. End of the day everyone has a write to speak there mind in a certain manner and I just feel like I am climbing the walls and getting know we're once again. We all need to stick 2gether and hopefully they will listen to us about our needs.take care i hope you are ok
      Bf · 11 days ago
      @Jan I totally agree
    Penny · 12 days ago
    I think it is shocking to pick on disabled people. I am retired but do not get much as I did not work the required years. I rely alot on my motability vehicle to get around otherwise I would be stuck at home. They give money and homes and free food to refugees and keep helping them. They should help their own first. If I lose mine it will be devastating and they have no idea what it is like just to survive and get by. Yes I agree a new government is now needed
    Graham Faulkner · 12 days ago
    A crazy idea ,I was awarded 10 years in writing because I retired on pip I rely on pip to make my rent up,if this happens my mobility car would need to go back,mad idea, keep it as it is .
      Jason · 9 days ago
      @Graham Faulkner Say here i was rewarded with 10yrs until next pip which they said would be straight forward and over the phone with 5 minutes as this is a way of controlling us and taking us not just out of the system but out of the game altogether
    Eva · 12 days ago
    So first you have to somehow get money for appliances or whatever they need , then maybe they will pay you money, how long it would take?. What if I need bathtub, so what if they decide that is not proper appliance, I paid to much, or they don't pay back for installation,... You have to chose nappies from catalogue, what if you allergic to the brand. Can I choice food from catalogue? What if its more expensive then in shop, who will deliver? I can use simple shampoo and they will offer my the cheapest brand?
    Jan · 13 days ago
    I am disabled , i cant drive , cant use public transport  so wherever i go i have to use taxis to get to places , taxis wont accept  vouchers so i wont be able to go any where
    Gary · 13 days ago
    Cutting disability benefits while letting their family and friends get away with paying next to zero tax.These people have no idea what it’s like to struggle to afford the basics and now they want to make it even harder.Get your cronies to pay all their back taxes and the country can afford the disability benefit for the next 50 years
    Karen Ellis · 14 days ago
    That's totally unfair. The Green paper is designed by the government to penilise those who are disabled and ill through no fault of their own. All MPs need to take a cut in their wages to subsidies the disabled the long term sick and those who are terminally ill. The Tories haven't got a clue at all.
    Mr Harrison. · 16 days ago
    Does this mean people will lose their notability car who are over pension age.

N/A I’m disabled who cares · 20 days ago
    The Labour Party and Starmer are going to follow off from the Tories if they go out simple- changing the Benefits system for those who are unemployed to get them back into work and probably the disabled people and for those who have health conditions, even though some of us work anyway, and, does that mean no PIP on the cards claims for Discrimination will be on the UP!!
    Chris · 22 days ago
    What will happen to my PIP appeal if government changes?My epilepsy can't be controlled,i had my assessment yesterday and like always they gave me the impression i will get knocked back like usual. I've won on appeal in court every time but it's a stressful time so much so that i had a heart attack last time,aged 43. By time my next appeal process starts hopefully labour will be in charge but i haven't got a clue where i will stand as far as getting paid goes? Worried but not as worried as i will be if this government stays in control
      Jason · 9 days ago
      @Carl But i can’t see the next party doing much better because it’s not democracy no more if it’s all a 2 party horse race and to be honest they are both as bad as each other as even Keir has a amass amount of wealth so how’s he in touch with the normal people and citizens of the country because we and them both live alienated lifestyles as we live amongst the bottom where they live amongst the top as the wealthy people and the norm as never been so divided as it is now and the gap is only going to grow bigger
      Carl · 13 days ago
      @Chris It's discraceful how they treat disabled people at the moment. Hopefully they get the useless prime minster out . He,s just cutting vital money people need to live and eat .
      X · 14 days ago
      @Tina I agree 👍 it is ridiculous  they don't know how hard it is for disabled people they need this money 💷 to live independently store's don't want vouchers they have to pay out wages
      Mr Harrison. · 16 days ago
      @Chris Very true
      Shane · 19 days ago
      @Chris Keep appealing if first one fails. Once you win they back date the case. As you have already started the process before the change they will have to honour it. Just keep appealing.

Sarah · 23 days ago
    I received my update letter 14th March .. with new amounts on and yesterday I received this text … it’s scared and upset me
    Hello from Independent Assessment Services. We conduct Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessments for the Department for Work and Pensions DWP. This is for information purposes only, to let you know that we are managing your PIP assessment. We will look at the available evidence and will contact you with an appointment if we need to have a consultation with you. You can find information about the service we provide at https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk. You do not need to contact us.

I have long term health issues that won’t improve and I rely on this money I’ve tried ringing but the phone is engaged

Tina · 21 days ago
      @Sarah Sarah I know it's hard to do but don't worry. It says it's for information and you don't need to contact them. If you have health issues that won't get any better they will know that I myself have quite a few health issues had assessment by phone the lady was lovely I find it hard to talk about things and she understood that this is my lifeline being able to text like so many others. This is coming from the world's worst worrier! I already worry about mine which isn't even until August I think. You need to find something to focus on im sure you will be fine sweetie. If you need a friend and a chat we can sort something im sure. Don't worry we are all in the same boat. Re read letter it says they will contact if need more info didn't it? You're illness/illnesses may not need assessing don't forget they're well trained so will be aware if an illness is likely to improve or not so may not even contact you.
    Adam Fisher · 23 days ago
    It's fine for them when the Conservative Government set the new rules, but whoever sets these rules, I wish it would happen to them being disabled when the shoe is on the other foot, how would they feel when they become disabled and have to live on the money we disabled people have to live on? It's fine for them in the Government making all the rules, living in luxury, and having absolutely no care for others except their bloody selves. While typing this, I'm absolutely livid, and my stomach turns with utter rage at the Government.
    Adam Fisher · 23 days ago
    It's fine for them when the Conservative Government set the new rules, but whoever sets these rules, I wish it would happen to them being disabled when the shoe is on the other foot, how would they feel when they become disabled and have to live on the money we disabled people have to live on? It's fine for them in the Government (Number 10 Downing Street), making all the rules, living in luxury, and having absolutely no care for others except their bloody selves. While typing this, I'm absolutely livid, and my stomach turns with utter rage at the Government.
    Dean · 24 days ago
    I will kill myself if scrap cash, how I pay mobility scooter scheme, taxi, adult nappy, mobiles for communication that I am proundly deaf, cerebal palsy, club foot , problwm with bowel, headache, ARTHRITIS KNEE, FINGER,. high mental illness with depressed. I can’t cope with my emotional problwm.
      Adam Fisher · 23 days ago
      @Dean Try not to worry until the election at the end of the month. My heart goes out to EVERY disabled person especially when they have enough to deal with.
      Jo · 23 days ago
      @Dean Everyone feels the same it's really scary, but you have a lot going on and long term illnesses I can't see them taking your money off if you completely
    Desmond Harris · 25 days ago
    When is the next PIP pay date
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.