× Members

Claim for ESA

• windmill54
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142477 by windmill54
Replied by windmill54 on topic Claim for ESA
Hello, I have just received an appointment letter for a health assessment. I suffer with anxiety, agrophobia, claustrophobia, panic attacks. I am unable to travel anywhere unknown and have anxieties with engaging with strangers. I put all of this information on the ESA50 and told them that I would find it impossible to get to or go through a face to face assessment and would cause me so much distress and highten my anxieties. I asked them to contact my Gp to verify but seems they haven't done this. Despite all this they somehow expect me to be able to attend this appointment. If I could go to the appointment with ease I would not be having to claim benefit for this awful illness! I feel so anxious about making a telephone call to them and explain why I cannot go and ask if they have they actually seen my ESA50! I cannot go through this trauma so by not turning up will they cancel my claim or write to me? Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142489 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claim for ESA
windmill

I'm afraid the Assessment Provider (AP) are not required to contact your GP for additional information and rarely do, if the evidence attached to your ESA50 did not include a letter from your GP stating that you could not manage an assessment then you need to get one yourself and send it to the AP.

While the requirement for an assessment remains your claim cannot move forward and in the long term will be closed if you fail to attend.

If you have submitted a doctors letter or when you send one it is ignored then the only other suggestion I can make if for you to contact your MP to see whether they can "persuade" the AP to make a paper assessment.

Are you sure that you cannot manage a home assessment even if you have someone that you trust with you?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

• windmill54
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142493 by windmill54
Hi Gordon, many thanks for your help. The last time I saw my Gp I did ask if a letter could be done requesting a home visit to attach to the ESA50 but she said that she would wait for them to contact the surgery. I will try again but in the meantime looks like I have no option but to telephone the assessment office to explain that I wont be able to make this first appointment. Thank you

• windmill54
  • Topic Author
8 years 6 months ago #142832 by windmill54
Update. My assessment app was last thurs. I made my mind up to try and get there but unfortunately panic took over and half way there I had to return home. I thought about trying to telephone them to explain but I don't know whether to phone the health assessment number or the dwp but find talking on the telephone difficult too so just will have to wait and see the outcome. I don't know what will happen now, will they telephone me, write to me or will they just sanction me?

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #142841 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Claim for ESA
Did you do as Gordon suggested re contacting your GP?

The DWP shouldn't sanction you without contacting you again first. You need to go to your GP if you haven't and make it clear that the onus is on you to write a letter requesting a home visit, the DWP will not write to your GP.

You should also try to ring or get someone to ring for you to explain why you didn't make the appointment.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.