× Members

backdated payments

• foss27
8 years 4 months ago #148210 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic backdated payments
Hi

You should definitely see your MP.

You should also appeal the loss of backpay from February. As you instantly appealed the claim would have been ongoing. They are just trying it on.

You may be able to get free benefits advice here
advicefinder.turn2us.org.uk/Home/Details/8107

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #148218 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic backdated payments

gerry wrote: hi gordon. its been an ongoing claim since sept 13. i got in touch recently to ask about my backdated benefits. they said i went to an appeal feb 15 and was disallowed. i instantly appealed again. got a mr off the job centre and continued again until nov 15 when i went to the tribunal and i was granted the decision. ive been constantly having to reclaim housing benefit, cos my claim closes re-opens. its been how one person has called it. the revolving door. im now considering going to an MP.

Notwithstanding Foss's comments.

You say a Tribunal disallowed your claim in February 2015 but you then appealed this, could you explain what you mean by this. You can only appeal a Tribunal Decision on the basis of an Error of Law? not because you disagreed with the Decision.

Your post suggests that in fact you requested an MR from the DWP, this would not have overridden the Decision of the Tribunal and I'm actually unclear as to why the DWP would have entertained a new MR given that a Tribunal had taken place.

If you did not appeal the Tribunal Decision then your claim would have been ended from the date of the Decision appealed. Did you make a new claim for ESA in February or even late March or April of last year or shortly after?

If you did then you would have been subject to 13 week Assessment period and any back pay would only be payable from the beginning of week 14 of your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #148286 by gerry
Replied by gerry on topic backdated payments
as ive explained about this revolving door scenario. ive a joint claim from 2013. neither me or my partner have had to attend or sign on in this time,apart from a few appointments my girlfriend had to attend,while awaiting a decision. do you think i should request all the relevant paperwork from my claim. its been an ongoing headache. sign on to get money or starve,yet all the time a doctors nore has supported me. as far as im concerned ive been on reduced money for the whole time. can being disallowed at a tribunal remove all the backdated benefits even tho, i eventually was granted my disability?

More
8 years 4 months ago #148291 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic backdated payments
I'm sorry Gerry, I am still unclear about the timeline of your claim.

Are you saying that an appeal tribunal found against you and you then made a new claim that was eventually accepted? If this is the case, as Gordon said, you would only be entitled to the full rate of ESA from the beginning of the 14th week of the new claim. If this was not what happened then I'm afraid you will have to spell it out in words of one syllable for me!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #157005 by gerry
Replied by gerry on topic backdated payments
ive been requesting a full timeline of my mandatory recons from august 2013. to december 2015. ive been promised a full breakdown for 3 months now. nothing. i was informed i was disallowed and made a new claim!! i didnt realise this. however, if an independent tribunal upholds my decision,isnt my disallowance then, null and void?

More
8 years 1 month ago #157038 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic backdated payments

gerry wrote: ive been requesting a full timeline of my mandatory recons from august 2013. to december 2015. ive been promised a full breakdown for 3 months now. nothing. i was informed i was disallowed and made a new claim!! i didnt realise this. however, if an independent tribunal upholds my decision,isnt my disallowance then, null and void?

I'm sorry but we cannot work out from your posts what has happened with your claim.

My best guess from what I can see is, you had an ESA claim with your girlfriend, either this initial claim was refused or you were re-assessed and found Fit for Work, you appealed this and the Tribunal upheld the DWP's Decision.

As far as we can see, you then made a new claim for ESA which I assume is what you are now receiving. If this is correct then as it is a new claim you have no entitlement to back payments prior to week 14 of this claim. The two claims, the one that was refused and the one that you are now being paid on are totally separate from each other.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.