× Members

Another evidence question

More
8 years 7 months ago #143504 by Chrissy
Another evidence question was created by Chrissy
Hi

I suffer from mental health problems and am a self harmer.
I am also ashamed to say that I have hurt others trying to restrain me

I am not receiving treatment, as there is none.
I am not under a cpn.
I have a telephone counsellor, but she might have to stop seeing me, and I will be left without.

I have not been invited for medical or received an ESA50, but for my own peace of mind, I want to have my evidence prepared, as the prognosis date from the DWP has been and gone.

I am in the support group, and I believe that I should still be in the support group, becauase I am ashamed to admit that I am a risk to myself and others under the Exceptional Circumstances, but without a counsellor, psychotherapist, CPN etc, I am stuck for evidence.

I contacted my GP surgery and sent in a SARS request, but the printouts of the GP don't say anything that can be used for evidence, as far as I can see, and the doctors note does not mention my self harm.

I am petrified that I will either be found fit for work, or work related activity, and I would like to know how I can get back in the support group when the time comes.
I am petrified of being in a workplace situation and harming myself or someone else.

Please could you help

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 7 months ago #143509 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic Another evidence question
I am mystified by your statement that there is no treatment for your condition. Has mental health provision got that bad? Your GP should be referring you to consultant pschologist/psychiatrist surely? It might also be that you should be on some form of medication.

You say you are in the support group so you must have made a claim before? Have you kept copies of the paperwork? Were you put in the support group without a medical? Without appealing? Or at least an MR?

By prognosis date do you mean reassessment date? How long did the award last? The system is so overwhelmed that it may be some time before they get round to reassessing you.
I would suggest looking out the paperwork if you kept copies and going over how it went last time. Is there anything you can think of that will make it more difficult to provide the evidence etc that you produced last time?

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #143518 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic Another evidence question
I've already had the little treatment that is on offer, and also medication that does not work.
My GP said that she will not refer me to a CPN, I think you have actually got to be psychotic now, or in such a bad mental state that you don't know what you are doing. Self harmers don't automatically qualify for treatment.

My last claim was in 2013, and I had a letter from a mental health nurse, but I cannot get one this time.
I was put in the support group without a medical, I think it was the letter from the mental health nurse that made this possible.
The GPs and mh say there is nothing else they can offer me.

The award lasted 18months, and the prognosis date, meaning the next due assessment date, has come and gone, it was jun 2015

Now that maximus have taken over, they are catching up.

My old paperwork is from 2013, so I cannot give that as evidence, so while I thank you for posting, my query still stands unanswered and I am still looking for ways I can provide evidence which will help get me in the support group next time round.

thanks in advance
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

More
8 years 7 months ago #143536 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Another evidence question
Chrissy

OK you appear to have raised the issue of you self-harming but do they have a proper appreciation of how often you are doing this and the triggers that cause you to do so? If they are not they you really need to summon up the courage to speak to them about this, ignoring the issue of an ESA re-assessment, they may be able to help you with this problem.

Have you spoken to your GP about what help they may be able to provide you in regard your ESA being re-assessed. It would be great if the Assessment Providers contacted a claimants GP as standard but the simple answer is that they won't so what letters or reports could your GP provide.

If you have self-harmed has it required treatment? For example have you had to attend at A&E or even the practice nurse.

There is no reason why you cannot use the information you supplied in 2013, but you will need to explain why it is still valid, however, to be successful with Regulation 35 you will need up to date evidence and the only reasonable source for this is your GP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 7 months ago #143554 by TheHud
Replied by TheHud on topic Another evidence question
My son is in the same situation. He was put in the support group having transfered from the older system. It took a private therapists letter, GP records showing various visits etc and letters from friends and his parents.

As for mental health services, my son is attached to the local mental health support team and the rehab team. He keeps missing appointments and going back to his GP, he gets emergency meds from his GP too if he needs extra help that current meds are not providing.

You say the meds did not work, he felt this for a very long time until he actually allowed himself to go through hypnotherapy (CBT did not work).

You have to show that you are asking for help, you need a track record at your GP, you can self refer so not sure why your telephone help is going without passing you to someone else.

If you want to give yourself the best chance start creating a trail at the GPs, get referred, the service is available, Get a friend or family member to support you. I know it all did my sons head in and he retreated to his gloom room (as I called it) for many months.

www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/m...sing%20services.aspx

Give the site above a chance to guide you and get back into treatment, you have to show you are doing everything you can to help yourself to get through an ESA, whatever your illness. Good luck :)

More
8 years 7 months ago #143613 by Mory
Replied by Mory on topic Another evidence question
I'm in a similar position with the NHS. Mental Health services are dire at present. I've been told I should be seeing a psychologist by MIND and by my assessor (a doctor) at my last ESA medical by ATOS (he was actually on my side remarkably). No chance. My GP has told me there's nothing she can do, her hands are tied I don't have the 'correct' disorder. Even though a shrink has rated me as 'severe' and the CMHT have admitted I need counselling they also admitted I will never get it. I get no support or treatment. Have been told to take valium and go away basically. I declined. My local CMHT has only 1 in house part time psychologist for the whole service/district.

I'm fortunate I can use my DLA for a private counsellor that I saw previously under the NHS (all the counselling contracts in GP surgeries in my area have been cancelled in favour of the cheap and nasty (and somewhat tokenistic) IAPT CBT).

However my most recent ESA renewal (support group) and DLA renewal I also got support from MIND who checked over my form for me and I was also able to list my recovery worker as a health professional they could contact. I self referred to MIND - there very good. They supported my MR for DLA as well.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.