× Members

Problems with the web site

More
7 years 11 months ago #158130 by Jenga
Replied by Jenga on topic Problems with the web site
XP is an 'old' operating system - but it is the 2nd most used behind Windows 7 also an out of date OS. If the server update has caused this problem it's a bit tough on all your subscribers who still use it and can't for whatever reason upgrade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158163 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Problems with the web site

Jenga wrote: XP is an 'old' operating system - but it is the 2nd most used behind Windows 7 also an out of date OS. If the server update has caused this problem it's a bit tough on all your subscribers who still use it and can't for whatever reason upgrade.

I think this needs to be put into context, we have had two users report problems!

I've checked with the office and the failure was hardware related although it's not impossible that some of the supporting software was updated while the system was recovered.

Whilst I fully understand why members have not updated from XP to a more recent operating system, the fact is that it has been out of support for over two years and as a result there have been no security updates or indeed, updates of any kind since 2014! There has to be a point where our maintaining a safe and secure platform for the site precludes us from providing support for XP, I don't believe that we are at this point yet, but there will be a time when we may.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.