× Members

bipolar and gambling addiction

More
7 years 8 months ago #164741 by crowie53
bipolar and gambling addiction was created by crowie53
my brother who lives alone was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1980 and then re diagnosed with bipolar ten years ago. He has his ESa and DLA paid into my account because he cannot manage his finances as he is reckless with money and is a compulsive gambler. I pay all hishousehold bills and transfer a daily amount into his account for tobacco, bus fares, lunch etc. He does sometimes gamble all of the money I give him. If I mention this in his Pip form will this be detrimental to his claim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #164778 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic bipolar and gambling addiction

crowie53 wrote: my brother who lives alone was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1980 and then re diagnosed with bipolar ten years ago. He has his ESa and DLA paid into my account because he cannot manage his finances as he is reckless with money and is a compulsive gambler. I pay all hishousehold bills and transfer a daily amount into his account for tobacco, bus fares, lunch etc. He does sometimes gamble all of the money I give him. If I mention this in his Pip form will this be detrimental to his claim.

I can't see why it would have a negative effect on his claim.

You say that you manage all of his finances are you his appointee?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #164802 by crowie53
Replied by crowie53 on topic bipolar and gambling addiction
hi Gordon thanks for replying, I am new to the forum. I am not his appointee as yet, but when I took over his care and he wasn't managing his money he agreed to have sea and DLA paid into my account.

More
7 years 8 months ago #164805 by Gordon

crowie53 wrote: hi Gordon thanks for replying, I am new to the forum. I am not his appointee as yet, but when I took over his care and he wasn't managing his money he agreed to have sea and DLA paid into my account.

You might want to make the relationship more formal, not doing so has implications for you and him over ownership of the money

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: crowie53

More
7 years 8 months ago #164811 by crowie53
Replied by crowie53 on topic bipolar and gambling addiction
would he qualify for 6 points for Pip in Managing Money question?

More
7 years 8 months ago #164818 by Gordon

crowie53 wrote: would he qualify for 6 points for Pip in Managing Money question?

Only if you can show that he cannot reliably on the majority of days make any budgeting Decisions at all.

Your managing his money is not in itself reason why he meets the criteria, you need to show that he cannot do these activities himself.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.