× Members

I cannot believe my son has not been awarded ANYTHING!!

More
2 months 1 week ago #288351 by Wendy Woo
My son is 28 - he was diagnosed with autism when he was five, but he was born very prematurely and has had problems all his life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288354 by Filey
Hi. My son is 29.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288355 by denby
I heard a talk years ago by a trainer delivering life skills to Learning Disabled people. There are 36 steps to making a cup of tea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Anji

More
2 months 1 week ago #288356 by Filey
Hi Wendy and everyone. I totally agree with all you say. At the 2017 appeal for my son, dwp held because he can drive etc etc against him. This latest appeal, my son didn't have a car so this time round, they left out he drives and instead focused on his job and living independently. They turn achievements into reasons that our Sons can do things. All I can say is , for everyone that this happens to, turn it around and back onto them. At the 2017 tribunal I asked if I could speak at the beginning of the hearing and I mentioned my sons achievements and I said it is despite him having autism he has still managed to hold down a job, learnt to drive etc etc. I also told them that the health assessors report was untruths as she had put 10 tests down that she did with my Son, when infact she did not do one test on that report at all. At the time I actually thought she had got out report mixed up with someone else's! The judge asked me if I thought this had a detrimental affect with the Dwp and I said most defiantly and she was writing down what I had said and she advised me to complain to Atos , which I already had done but no surprise, nothing was done about it! Keep on fighting. X
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Wendy Woo, LL26, Anji

More
2 months 1 week ago #288357 by Filey
Haha 😄 🤣. Thst made me laugh!

More
2 months 1 week ago #288413 by Anji
36 steps to making a cup of tea, wow!! Yes, I can see that. It is probably why my son doesn't drink or make tea or coffee. Honestly, even that he'd get a cup out and put the kettle on, then the next thing would be 'what did you say I was supposed to do next?' You literally have to talk him through one step at a time.

And, I completely empathise about the thinking the report was about someone else. I seriously did wonder whether they had muddled my son up with someone else. I mean, it said there was no evidence of anxiety on journeys and yet we gave an example of him fainting on a train platform once!!! To my mind, that does not normally happen for the majority of people!

However, after re-reading the report and seeing other comments, I think what happened is that she had a preconceived notion about what he could do and had selected certain responses prior to the assessment. There were 43 inaccuracies within it, some minor, some downright untrue!

Anyway, the appeal has gone off so we hold our breaths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Sheila 966, Filey

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.