× Members

I cannot believe my son has not been awarded ANYTHING!!

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287500 by Anji
I need some help, I am really dumbfounded. I spent days writing my son's PIP claim form. I followed all the advice. For every section I explained how his ADHD, dyslexia, depression and anxiety impede his ability to do basic tasks. He could not (and never does) prepare a meal, for example, because he could not sequence the events that need to happen, could not follow the instructions on food packets or a recipe, could not complete shopping, cooking etc without getting distracted. He cannot ever do this and therefore lives on breaded chicken he heats up in an air fryer. Every section I explained the impact, the frequency, the fact that he does not complete a task to an acceptable standard. He hardly ever washes, for example, or puts on clean clothes and I explained why, how his disability affects him. He cannot plan a simple journey. He needs help with all these tasks almost daily and I support him remotely via text and phone. I provided loads of screenshots of conversations we have had where I have cajoled him to wash, reminded him to take his medication, or supported him to find the right bus for a journey for example.

I just don't know what more evidence I could possibly provide. For every section I stated how his disability affected him, how it affected safety, not achieving things to an acceptable standard, not being able to do things repeatedly. I just don't know what else I can do. I am distraught.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287520 by Donna2512
I am sorry your son didn't get an award. I hope my experience gives you some hope. My son had a lifetime award for DLA HRC and HRM when he had to move to PIP. He is autistic and other co morbids. He was seen by a physio who decided that because he could subtract 7 from 100 and played video games he had no needs despite reports from OT,SALT and psychologist who had been involved for many years. He scored 2 pts. At MR he got 2 more so we pushed on for Tribunal. At Tribunal it was obvious that DWP had no knowledge of his case,hadn't read anything and couldn't answer any questions asked by the panel,they couldn't explain why they had made the decisions they had and the panel gave them a telling off. Son was awarded Enhanced both rates. At renewal I sent in the Tribunal award and he was given a ten year award on just the papers. Good luck with challenging the decision they made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robreay, denby, Wendy Woo, Gary, LL26, Filey, Anji, Reddd7

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287525 by Gary
Hi Donna2512

Thank you for your inspirational post, it does help fellow members to hear from members who have gone through all the stages of their claim without giving up 👏 so well done.

I will tag your post foor the back office ;

Tags: @RESULT @PIP @ Appeal

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, BIS

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287542 by Anji
Thanks Donna. Gary is right, it is really good to hear that your son got what he deserved in the end. It does give me hope!
We are waiting for the scaling and the report and I will ask for a mandatory reconsideration. The woman assessor gave me the impression that she had not read anything we had sent them, even the application form. She rushed through and was typing as we spoke and said she'd sent the report off before the end of the conversation. Hopefully the MR will help, but if not I am prepared to go to a tribunal.
Thanks again! Anji

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287545 by Donna2512
I am glad it helps. It is so wrong how claimants are treated in my opinion. They physio took a snapshot and made a decision from that. I don't believe he read the reports and probably didn't even read the claim form. Ironically his face is front and centre on a poster at the local IAS assessment centre.
Certainly DWP at Tribunal had read none of it. I think they believed that as we turned up unrepresented they could get away with the bluster. Their only question for us was to ask if my son had ever attended a football match? We answered honestly and panel asked which descriptor they were looking at to determine whether it was met or not by the attendance at a football match. DWP pretty much knew then that they had lost I think as he asked nothing else and spent the rest of the time shuffling papers and squirming each time the panel asked a question that he couldn't answer.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287558 by Anji
It is so upsetting, my son is anxious enough at the best of times. I sent loads of evidence (luckily I mainly support my son via text as it's his preferred method of communicating) for virtually every section and I could tell she hadn't read it. I shall reference the individual pieces of evidence in the MR form.

I hate the way they treat people as if they are trying to defraud them. She pushed him and pushed him on interacting with people. Eventually he agreed that if a pizza delivery person knocked on his door he would be able to interact appropriately (by saying thanks, goodbye???!!!) but I think she will use this against him.

Thanks for your encouraging words!! I'm so pleased for you and your son, Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.